Removing oxidized gelcoat and then waxing

Jarod

Member III
Hello

Can anyone recommend some brands that are good for gelcoat oxidation and waxing. I live in Vancouver, BC...so I do have access to Westmarine, but thought I would ask you guys what I should use. I used a bit of turtle wax white polishing compound today and it was fine for the not too stained areas (looks pretty good actually) but it is not aggressive enough for some of the heavier staining and oxidization. I am using my orbital sander with a hook and loop buffing attachment. I figure i need a more aggressive compound or polish for the harder areas and then i would seal it with some sort of carnauba wax, suggestions please.

30 yr old ericson 27..

Thanks

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I have had good luck with 3m liquid rubbing compund. Looks like a chocolate milkshake. I used a Makita 7" variable speed grinder with buffing wheel. You may find that your converted DA sander does not have enough power but I cant say for sure having never tried that route.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Jerod, what portion of the boat are you working on? Depending on the depth of the oxidation will dictate how aggresive you will need to be with the rubbing compound. But look out, you need to be careful and not go too deep with the rubbing out part. I prefer a variable speed circular buffer. Your orbital will work, but you will have a tough time making sure you are getting good even cutting with the compound. 3m's rubbing compound is a good product. It will remove the oxidation and "open up" those tiny pores for the finish work. I would use Swirl remover, sometimes called Sealer before the wax application. And I am old school, the highest concentrate of Carnuba wax is best in my book. Try a small area about 1 foot square to see how it works.
Kim
Windfall
1984-35-3

e38 owner

Member III
I have used mequirs with very good results.
If you have the proper buffer (a must) go to an auto body supply place for
some good stuff

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have used 3M and Meguires products. Both make a one-step "restorer" that cuts the surface and polishes at the same time. They work pretty well, I prefer the Meguires and its just once around the hull. The shine lasts a season. Worked well on a crusty Catalina hull, made it look almost new. RT

tilwinter

Member III
polishing gelcoat

This topic has been discussed extensively in the past, and should show up on search.

Briefly, the key element is the polisher. It is imperative to use a "constant velocity" variable speed polisher, with a wool pad. I use the Makita. It was expensive, but oh so worth it. The wool pad cleans up with a wooden stick when you are done for the day.

I have tried many different options for compound, and have obtained the best results with the 3M "chocolate milkshake" , but somewhat diluted w/ Finesse-It II, about a 50-50 mix. The Finesse-It (also 3m product) makes the whole slurry stay moist longer, avoids scour, and heat. It is best applied (the mix) with a paintbrush rather than a rag.

Set your polisher at the lowest possible speed to do the job. It takes a little practice, but is not rocket science. The low speed keeps the mix from heating up, burning, and drying out. I have done the entire hull of my 81
30+, and it looks great, almost new.

jgarmin098

Member II
Specifically, do you mix the Finesse-It II with one of these?

3M™ Marine Fiberglass Cleaner and Wax

Designed to remove LIGHT to MEDIUM oxidation, clean, polish and protect fiberglass/gelcoat.

3M™ Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax

Designed to remove HEAVY oxidation, chalking, fading, minor scratches, rust and exhaust stains; plus provide protection on fiberglass/gelcoat.

tilwinter

Member III
Neither; Wax is your enemy. In fact, I have found it is better to de-wax before starting this process. The product is the liquid rubbing compound, mentioned in one of the earlier posts. I would go out in the garage and get the exact name, but I am away on vacation. I'll be home by the weekend and will get the exact name.

tilwinter

Member III
Wax is your enemy while removing oxidation. Obviously, once you have completed the removal, use whichever wax you prefer. I also use the 3M paste wax, but I know each boater has his personal preference.

jkm

Member III
Since you are in BC go to your Automotive Paint Store, not a parts store, and buy some 3M polishing compound. It is fabulous, I use it to polish my old cars that have lacquer finishes. It opens the surface spores and it'll look great and you might not bother with wax.

Oh, I use it on my '73 35-mkII

Get a good buffer and 1/2 dozen pads (buy these at the automotive paint store not a ships store-your wife will thank you)