Removing headstay - Is it safe?

selous

Inactive Member
The boatyard says I may have to remove the head stay on my E 27 before they haul her out! Since the mast is deck stepped,is this a problem?
If I slack off on the back stay and head stay and then disconnect the head stay will the shrouds and back stay alone keep the mast standing?
I also need to drop the rudder while the boat is still in the sling and am not sure how to remove the rudder stock nut/tiller head. Any advice guys?

Last edited:

Emerald

Never had to remove the head stay on my prior 27 to fit into a travel lift. I did do this on Emerald once, and then we realized if we went stern first, there was no interference with the headstay. If you do decide you really need to drop it and you have roller furling, generally speaking, you must keep tension on the stay to keep the foils from sagging too much and bending the torque links that typically hold the foils together.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the yard's lift is "small" (<30 ton)they may need to bring in sailboats stern first.
I have done it either way with our boats over the decades.
Most recently our 34 footer was hauled by a yard that had to pick it twice to get it just far enough back in the straps so that when lifted the fore stay with furler was clear of the beam by a foot.

A 27 is not a large boat, and I cannot imagine why they are having this problem, but perhaps sailboats are a minor part of their business. If so, BTW, make sure that they tie the straps to each other with safety lines, too.

Good luck,
Loren

selous

Inactive Member
Thanks for the replies.They actually always have quite a few sailboats in their yard but I did notice that some of the bigger boats had their headstays removed.The stern first may be the way to go.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
USe the genoa halyard

Before you ease up and unpin the HS, take the genoa halyard to the most fwd point you can and still provide enough room for the yard to do their thing. You can shackle it to one of the stanchion bases (the first one aft of the bow pulpit should be fine), or if you have a track on the foredeck centerline you can use that.

This will serve as a temporary headstay until you can re-pin the HS.

Either way, I do think that as long as you have the fwd and aft lowers snug the rig shoud not fall down, but using the halyard will give you a little more "insurance"..

Cheers!

S

selous

Inactive Member
Thanks Seth,that never occurred to me.I'll do that,it'll definitely make me feel more secure about the process!

bayhoss

Member III
What Seth said...

On May 12 last year while under way, the head stay on my 28 gave way and the mast came down. All other components of the standing rigging were still in place. Seth is right on the money with using the halyard to secure the mast while the intended operation is being performed.

Best,
Frank

selous

Inactive Member
Yeah,I guess being underway losing the mast is pretty much a given.It would probably be okay with just the shrouds and no pressure on the rig but I wont take that chance.
Thanks to all that responded! I love this site!

selous

Inactive Member
It's a smaller lift,not exactly sure but they said I might have to unpin it,not definite.i just wanted to get the info and be prepared in case I have to.