Removing double stick tape from sail

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I have a Doyle StackPack mainsail that the pack was sewn to the sail. The pack was falling apart from UV damage so I removed it from the sail. Just used a seam cutter on the stitches and took about an hour to do. My issue is when I pulled it loose from the sail it left double stick tape under all the seams(from the sailmaker) and it's pretty sticky stuff. Any and all thoughts on how to get that off the sail safely appreciated.

Have never dealt with adhesive on a sail like this but only ever use a heat gun and/or solvents to remove goop. On a sail the heat gun is probably a bad idea (maybe trying it on a warm sunny day could be a better idea). Perhaps a mild solvent like 30-50% isopropyl alcohol and a. Flat plastic scraper or putty knife would be worth a shot. Rounding the corner edges of any scraper may be prudent.

harbor freight sells wooden stem “q tips” which I’ve found to be most useful for finesse applications of solvent. A back n forth motion while twisting the cotton head has been quite effective.

good luck!

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Perhaps a mild solvent like 30-50% isopropyl alcohol and a. Flat plastic scraper or putty knife would be worth a shot. Rounding the corner edges of any scraper may be prudent.
I have tried alcohol and it didn't do a thing. Problem with scraping is there are still some remnants of the stitching imbedded in the tape. I'm thinking I will have to go to something a lot stronger than alcohol to dissolve the tape just not sure how strong of a solvent I can use and not damage the Dacron.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would advise contacting a sailmaker for help with this. (They have experience repairing temporarily-patched sails and have to deal with adhesive residue. Same problem for changing numbers.)

Last edited:

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I would advise contacting a sailmaker for help with this
I contacted 2 including the loft that made this sail. One pretty much said "good luck & be careful"... the other told me to bring it in and they would see what they can do. Trying to avoid paying someone 100's to screw up my sail, I'd rather do that myself :)

peaman

Sustaining Member
I wonder if Goo Gone would be safe on the sail? I've used it on a few things with generally good effect, and no apparent problems.

windblown

Member III
Maybe ask the folks at Sailrite? I have found them to be very helpful, and they've probably encountered something like this.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
I asked our sailmaker what to use to remove the adhesive after I took the old numbers off our hand-me-down spinnaker. He said lacquer thinner. NOT acetone. It worked, with elbow grease, and didn't seem to damage the sail. However, if I understand correctly, spinnakers are made of nylon. I'm guessing your main is Dacron.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
My first attempt using Goo Gone showed little results in removing the tape/adhesive. So I will need to move on to something that packs a little more punch. I will have to do a little more research on solvents that are Dacron/polyester safe. To be continued....

Bolo

Contributing Partner
The sticky tape you’re trying to remove is call “basting tape” and it’s designed to get into fabric to hold together material before it’s stitched together. Sailrite, who sells basting tape among many other things suggests using 3M™ Specialty Adhesive Remover to remove the glue from basting tape.

windblown

Member III
The sticky tape you’re trying to remove is call “basting tape” and it’s designed to get into fabric to hold together material before it’s stitched together. Sailrite, who sells basting tape among many other things suggests using 3M™ Specialty Adhesive Remover to remove the glue from basting tape.
Bob,
We must have pushed "post" at about the same time! Great minds. . .

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Sailrite, who sells basting tape among many other things suggests using 3M™ Specialty Adhesive Remover
Yeah I was looking at the active ingredients in the 3M, it looks pretty potent so I'm guessing Dacron is pretty tuff stuff ! See attached Safety Bulletin.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
oops, there's a few 3m Adhesive removers. This is the correct Safety Sheet for 3M "Specialty" Adhesive Remover. Looks even more potent and the main ingredients are Acetone, Naphtha, & Xylene.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
I wrote our sailmaker and asked him about lacquer thinner on Dacron and he said that was okay too. Out of curiosity (and procrastination*), I did some web searching and opinions are all over the map. One person said LT even has acetone in it. UK Sailmakers in their official site say that acetone is okay, more than halfway down, under 'stain removal'. - https://www.uksailmakers.com/encyclopedia-9-1-sail-care/

So, go figure. I have an old Dacron sail I may try some lacquer thinner on. Once spring boat work is done. ( * 40º here today and 20+kts, but here I go, off to the boatyard.)

Thanks for the update Dave. Keep us posted.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Naptha and Xylene are common adhesive removers (and thinners). The acetone in the above mix will help with evaporation/drying. In the spray format, you might not get the same solvent concentration on the targeted work surface (losses to evaporation and overspray?)
You might try 'Painter's Naptha' (Home Depot product is Klean Strip 'VM&P Naptha) - I couldn't find its composition to see if it also contains Xylene. The smallest volume seems to be 1 gal for $24 - you could really slosh it on at that price ;-) - Naptha (and Xylene) are very toxic - definitely work outside (and upwind if possible) - might want to use a vapor/solvent ventilator too.