Removing baby stay

RMX

Member I
Hello,
I am removing baby stay on E36RH. Long Island sound does not call for it and it is certainly cumbersome on the race course. Has anyone also removed the internal V-berth stay? Not very comfortable when sleeping two up there.

Rod
Lucia, E36RH

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Rod,

I only have an internal stay in the v-berth, near the foot of the v-berth, for the stay sail/spin pole track forward of the main forward hatch (which I currently have disconnected from the overhead tang and stored between the v-berth cushions). I don't have an internal stay under my baby stay track which runs down the cabintop slope just aft of the main hatch. If you are not using your baby stay you won't need the internal stay either.

Do you have a picture of your internal stay? Isn't your baby stay hydraulic?

I'm thinking of re-installing a Dyneema baby stay to get more lower mast bend since my baby stay could be easily disconnected and stored at the mast when not needed. My baby stay tightens mechanically by being pulled down the cabintop slope on a track by 4:1 blocks that are still mounted. I'm wondering if I'll need to add an internal stay to take the load - hadn't thought that far yet. It could be easily disconnected from the overhead and stored between the v-berth cushions like the other stay.

Mark