relocating the lpg tank on a 74 35-II

eric35II

Member I
the lp tank is stored in the starboard locker. the locker isn't vented. has anybody relocated there lp tank ?? my thoughts were in the transom locker and i can then vent it thru the transom...

thanks
greg

chaco

Member III
Air Tight Locker !

West Marine has an excellent article on Propane Tank installs.
I have just aquired a 74 35II here in Oceanside Harbor (CA) and am switching
from CNG to Propane. Am also looking at stern locker to locate (2) 20# tanks.
I do know that propane is heavier than air and needs to be completely
isolated from your boat in an AIRTIGHT vented locker, with solenoid shut-off.
Will keep you informed on our mutual progress on this project.

Can ANYONE out there help me on 35II Owners Manual ???

eric35II

Member I
lpg

i too am the new owner of a 74 35 II. my lpg tank looks like a scuba divers tank. the problem with a locker is that you have to be able to close the door. mine is mounted horizontally behind the ac and dc panels outboard. accessable from the cockpit strbd locker. i intend to install a cutoff solonoid and an lp detector. you can build a locker in the aft cockpit locker. the fuel tank vent is on the port side so i guess it will have to go on the strbd side.
you would have to glass in the locker, and install a vent somewhere in the transom. i have seen the bottles mounted topside on one of the stern rails. then all you would have to do is run the hose. you can install the solenoid in the aft cockpit locker and then to the stove. can have a cover made to protect the bottle and regulator from the uvs. i think that is the easiest solution to the problem. i just finished replacing all the thru hulls and got rid of all the gate valves. the boat needs a lot of work.
happy boating
greg

u079721

Contributing Partner
Not lp?

Greg,

I may be missing part of the discussion, but if your "lpg" tank looks like a scuba tank, then is isn't lpg, but CNG. As such you don't need to install a cut off valve or a leak detector, since the methane in CNG is lighter than air, and poses no risk of sinking into the bilge.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
We have CNG on the E38 and I guess my question would be why would you want to convert to propane given the headaches associated with the tanks, lockers and venting etc? I just got the boat and have not looked for places to fill CNG tanks, is that the problem? Or is it that propane burns hotter? I do know that propane is heavier than air making it very dangerous on boats. It also creates moisture when burnt. Some of the engineers/chemists here can speak better to this but I believe it has to do with propane having an extra hydogen atom. When you run a propane stove for extended times you can get condensation on the interior of the boat. Not so sure this is necessarily a big problem when cruising in the summer but interesting discussion none the less.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Why convert to propane - capacity and convenience!

CNG tanks are a royal pain in the butt in many places to get refilled. Where I cruise in Ontario there is NO PLACE to get a refill. Back home in Midland, Michigan I can send them off for a refill, but the bill is over $50 a refill, mostly for shipping. Or I can drive down to Detroit, where just maybe I can pay$30 to $40 for an exchange.

I ended up buying an adaptor that allows me to refill the tanks myself directly from a CNG filling station in Flint. The adaptor was $140, but it paid for itself the first day as I refilled four tanks for about $2.00 total. Since that time (ten years ago) many of the filling stations have increased the pressure at the pump from 3000 psig to 4500 psig, so it is not completely safe to do, in that you could easily overpressure the tank. In fact the company (Corp Brothers) who sold me the adaptor sent me a registered letter telling me to quit using it. When I sold the boat I gave the adaptor away, rather than have the liability of selling it to the new owner.

The other reason to go with propane is simply capacity. With 2 to 3 meals a day, baking, and sometimes heating water for showers, we can easily go through both of our two CNG tanks in just 4 weeks. A propane tank has a lot more capacity than that, and if you run out, you can get propane just about everywhere.

So switching our Ericson from CNG to propane was always on my to do list, but I never got around to it.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Ahhh now I see. Makes good sense to me. I live in Annapolis, MD and can't think off the top of my head where I would go to get the tank filled either. OTOH I dont do much extensive cruising that would last longer than 1 or 2 weeks. ( not yet anyway..) The e38-200 I am in the process of buying has a propane locker in the aft part of the cockpit but the boat is currently set up with CNG. I guess in my case the conversion would not be as bad... BTW I see you sold your 38, have you replaced it with something bigger? I am very new to the Ericson world and have many questions for you regarding the 38.

Thanks,

u079721

Contributing Partner
No new boat - but ask away

No new boat. I had to sell my Ericson after losing my job, so it wasn't a question of moving up to something bigger or better. Hope to retire for good in about 10 years, and then I'll be looking to replace the Ericson.

I have 11 seasons Great Lakes experience with a 1989 38-200, with over 300 nights at anchor and probably about 10,000 miles - so ask away.

You can reach me directly at: besley AT charter DOT net

chaco

Member III
Gas Facts

eric35II said:
i too am the new owner of a 74 35 II. my lpg tank looks like a scuba divers tank. the problem with a locker is that you have to be able to close the door. mine is mounted horizontally behind the ac and dc panels outboard. accessable from the cockpit strbd locker. i intend to install a cutoff solonoid and an lp detector. you can build a locker in the aft cockpit locker. the fuel tank vent is on the port side so i guess it will have to go on the strbd side.
you would have to glass in the locker, and install a vent somewhere in the transom. i have seen the bottles mounted topside on one of the stern rails. then all you would have to do is run the hose. you can install the solenoid in the aft cockpit locker and then to the stove. can have a cover made to protect the bottle and regulator from the uvs. i think that is the easiest solution to the problem. i just finished replacing all the thru hulls and got rid of all the gate valves. the boat needs a lot of work.
happy boating
greg

Sounds like a CNG tank to me !

Gas Facts
1. Compressed Natural Gas: 1000 +/- BTU/CUFT - .60 SG (lighter than air)
2. Liquid Petroleum Gas : 2550 +/- BTU/CUFT - 1.52 SG

My CNG tank is stored under the starboard settee. Regulator is vented.
Isn't safe design, and ALL gas needs to move to outside (cockpit area).
CNG is NOT readily available and carries less heat per volumne.
LPG is available everywhere (Baha !), needs less storage space and we
have the technology to make it safe !
All gas appliances can be switched to LPG/CNG with valve oriface change.
I will use the starboard cockpit locker for 20#/5ga tanks.
A storage locker will be built or purchased.
Everything I install on the boat has extended stays in the Sea of Cortez/
World Travel in the design. Works better for me.
Keep us informed on your install progress !

dan