Misc. EQ Recommended Marine Combination Lock

All other equipment not included in other categories. Please advise Admin if new category is needed after posting here.

klb67pgh

Member III
I have no affiliation with the company, but wanted to pass along a great solution I found 2 years ago. I needed a marine combination lock to secure my companionway hatch. I wanted a combination rather than a key to be able to give anyone the combination who needed access to my boat, especially if I was away from the area. I wanted a 4 dial lock ideally. The biggest challenge I had was that any outdoor/stainless lock I found in the U.S. had a large shackle size - 5/16 or so - too big for the hasp on my hatch. I did not want to put a larger fence gate type hatch to accommodate a larger lock. I was out of options until I stumbled onto the UK company Shield lock company. I bought a few of their Shield marine combination MC40 locks with a shaft of just under 1/4"/6.5mm that has worked very well - 2 seasons and it still looks brand new (freshwater lake). It also fits standard trailer tongue pins to lock a trailer onto a hitch ball. I thought they were a good price too for the quality, even when factoring in shipping to the U.S. I also had excellent customer service, as when I went to order, they were initially out of stock. They emailed me when they were back in stock, and as I recall called me to take a credit card to place the order. Frankly U.S. marine supply stores should offer these locks. This also reminds me I want to build a new teak companionway hatch this off season to replace the "temporary" hatch made by my prior owner that still works, in its own utilitarian way.
Shieldlock2.jpgShieldlock.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wow. I once sourced a nice combo lock and had to donate it to a friend because it was slightly too large to fit the stock hasp on our boat. A tad frustrating, the outcome was.
I will look into this solution. Thanks!
Did you happen to buy the Shield MC40 ?

Navman

Member III
If a marine supplier offered the lock they would charge double for taking it out of the box and putting it into their" brand" box. Then there's the "it's for marine use" so jack up the price even more.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would like a couple of these locks, but when I checked with them over a year ago they would not sell to a US buyer.
I wonder how the OP managed to do business with them?? (I have purchased small items from other UK chandlers with no difficulty at all.)

klb67pgh

Member III
I emailed the company, and eventually communicated with Dan, the operations director. I think he called me to take my cc info to finalize the order and emailed me an invoice. Their online order system does not work to ship to the US. Still very happy with the locks. I'm not in a salt environment, but they still look like new.

Charlie B.

Member II
I highly recommend the brass Abus combination lock. It has a four digit combination that is easy to lock and unlock and very durable. I’m at 15 years and still going!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have trial fitted an Abus lock, but the diameter of the round lock bar (shackle) is larger than our hasp ID on the boat.
The 6.5 mm size of the one from the UK vendor will fit.
I will try again to get them to send me a couple of locks.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Wild came to me with a set of Abus locks. I use them every day. Unfortunately, the one I used on the dinghy cable got dunked in seawater and maybe some sand. * No matter how much I oiled and worked it, after a few days it froze up. (Hint, wrap the cable twice around the bullrail, so that the lock cannot slide down into the water.)

I replaced it with a couple from West Marine, which are apparently identical, but not actually Abus. Knowledgable people assure me that these are inferior, but they have so far lasted longer than the Abus. The same ones are apparently available on Amazon for half the price. YMMV

On Arcturus (My Ericson) I had to buy a new hasp for the cockpit locker to fit commonly available locks.

*Now I remember. I ”borrowed” the cable and lock for the kayak, beach landing in San Francisco. Had it in my pocket when I got rolled in the surf. If you’re going to rock & roll in the surf, the yak seems safer than the RIB. At least it’s a lot easier to drag up the beach and doesn’t hurt as much when it comes down on top of you.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Thanks for this recommendation, as I've been searching for good combo locks. Just ordered three of these directly from the company. Will be glad to dispense with some keys.