Recommended fish finder/sounder

Jarod

Member III
Any recommendations fish finder transducer combo... want the in hull mount transducer and both transducer and sounder at a decent price...doesnt need to be anything special just tell me depth...also location the in hull is mounted in your boat...i have a 27

thanks jarod

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I think of a fishfinder as a rectangular display that shows bottom contours and characteristics. You're just looking for a depth sounder/fathometer though, right? One that has a number on the display and that's all.

I bought a Standard Horizon 100 series bidata for $90 on clearance from WestMarine.com a few weeks ago, and got the in-hull transducer for less than $20 on clearance too. Then at my local West Marine store I found the speed transducer on clearance for $50. Ended up with complete speed and depth instruments for about $150. :) Might check if they're still clearing out any discontinued instruments.

Other than that, you can get 2" instruments (the sort that are intended for an instrument cluster on a powerboat) for less than $100 including transducer. There are a couple different brands of these online from various retailers/etailers. I didn't want to go that way because I think the 2" instruments look a little funny on a sailboat bulkhead, and I imagine they might be hard to read from the helm.

Last edited:

Jarod

Member III
Hi Nate

Either or I guess...fish finder/sounder...as long as I know the depth... but your setup sounds like it would be sufficient...where did you mount your transducer.

Jarod

Guy Stevens

Fishfinder

I greatly prefer a true fishfinder. I have found them to be more acurate than most of the digital read out depth sounders, and a great boon when anchoring.

When anchoring it is good to know what the bottom is made up of, and what it looks like. The depth sounder gives you none of this information, while the fishfinder gives you all of it. Modern fish finders also have a screen that does exactly what the depth sounder does, large clear numbers display the depth.

Fish finders are like everything else, they come out with newer and newer models, and you can generally get last years model for a good discount.

My expereince is that if you are on a sailing yacht select a b&W display model, that has a flush mount option, mount it up and enjoy it.

Guy
:)

Jarod

Member III
Ok i picked up a new fishfiinder by Hummingbird. It is the matrix 37...which the local marine store guy insists has plenty of power for effectively shooting through the hull. He stated that you do not need a special transducer for shooting through the hull and the transom mount ducer will be fine. My question is where can I mount this thing so that it will actually point downwards on my E27 and do i need to do any thing so that it shoots directly down or can it shoot off on an angle a bit as there arent too many flat spots on the boat. I thought about building up the surface of the inside of the hull with epoxy before epoxying the ducer to the inside but suspect too much epoxy between the ducer and the inner hull will drastically reduce the effectiveness, please advise.

Guy Stevens

Epoxy

Just position it so that it points completely vertically in the boat before you epoxy it in. (Not following the contour of the hull at all.) Make a small coffer dam around it, and fill it with slow kicking epoxy (Fast leaves too many bubbles). Installation done.

Let me see if I can say it a different way. Generally only the outboard edge of the transducer is touching the hull, the inboard end is off of the hull, in the completely set epoxy in the end.

Hint make the coffer dam out of clay the kind you used to use in grade school works good.

Guy

hodo

Member III
fishfinder

Fishfinders are the only way to go if you are changing or adding. to check to see how it works before epoxying it down, put it in a large ziploc type bag full of water and place it where you want it. the bag of water will act like the epoxy, and will allow you to shoot through the hull. I'm not familiar with your boat, but I was able to set it ahead of the keel on my 38, and 30+.good fishing, Harold :devil:

soup1438

Member II
A less permanent transducer mounting...

I'm not sure where I saw this tip any longer, but a suggestion that worked for me was to use the wax from a wax ring (gasket for a toilet) to set the transducer inside the hull, making sure it's well "worked in".

I was surprised at how well this trick worked... and didn't require any drilling, either.

The kit was a Humminbird fish-finder that was on clearance so it was *way* cheaper than the dedicated depth gauge.

And, yes, I recognize that the simple depth gauge likely uses less power than a fish-finder...

Guy Stevens

Power,

The dedicated depth sounders in a lot of cases use the same amount of power. The parts of the circuit that actualy consume it are the transducer, and the leds that light the screen when you have them on. The LCD and the like take almost nothing to drive.

Guy

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Do you guys that use fishfinders mount them in the bulkhead or at the binnacle or something? I think of them as being a few times larger than a simple fathometer. Where do you find a good spot for them where they're in constant view?

Jarod

Member III
i was just going to ask the same thing as i like to see where i am at while at the tiller. I knocked around the idea of mounting it in the cockpit area somewhere maybe near the wind instrument and knot meter, any suggestions.

rssailor

Fishfinder

My fishfinder is mounted on a swing arm mount in the companionway. The screen is huge and the thing works great. I am using thru hull ducers for the speed and depth. Check out Lowrance, they make pretty good units. Ryan Moonglow Ericson 25+

polackrm

Member I
GPS/Fishfinder combo

The fathometer on my E-29 just gave up the ghost, I think that it was original equipment, so I started my search for replacement. I found a couple of deals but in order to have them installed I was going to have to haul the boat and pay for installation. The more that I researched the more that I started finding people that were using fishfinders with transducers that mounted inside of the hull. A good color finder is not cheap and you have to buy the transducer seperately. The difference between the cost of a good color finder and a cheaper digital sounder was quickly made up by the cost of the haul/installation. With the cost of a good GPS being what they are, I found that the combination unit was somewhat cheaper than buying both units seperately. West Marine, in their new 2006 catalog, has a Garmin 498 ( I think) that has a lot of features, newest chart technology, and the unit can either be mounted on the enclosed bracket or can be mounted flat. It comes with all of the coastal charts for the US, including Alaska and Hawaii, and accepts chips for any other areas that you may want to add and the depth is sounded down to 900', plus, if you want to catch fish you can actually use it for what is was designed for. The cost for this unit is $1000.00 but that includes an external ant. for the GPS and the transducer. Want good gear then you have to pay for it. As for mounting, I'm going to simply remove the old fathometer, 3" round, cut out the template and then mount it flat on the port side cabin face. I have a tiller on my boat so access and seeing it will be very easy for me.

diamondjim

Member II
Transducer replacement & Mounting

Airmar makes makes a bunch of transducers. I found one on E-bay - new - for $6. My unit is the old but reliable Data Marine instrument that uses a 200KHZ transducer. Use a liberal amount of KY Jelly on the bottom of the transducer and place it on the inside of the hull in a place that is smooth and flat. Plug in the cable to the instrument and check for a reading. If no reading, move the transducer to another location. I double checked depth with with a lead line and it was very accurate. Next, clean up the transducer and hull with acetone and glue the transducer in place with silicone RTV. Be sure to squish the transducer down to get a good sqeeze. Let cure and enjoy!

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I read somewhere that Silicone greatly degrades the signal from a depth transducer. I think you'd be better off using something like 4200 if you want to mount it non-permanently, but best of all would be to fix it to the hull with a bed of epoxy. Make sure no air bubbles are trapped under the transducer. Even with epoxy you can still chip it off down the road if it needs to be replaced.

Nate

Jarod

Member III
i ended up picking up the humminbird matrix 37 fishfinder it seems to work great...and i used the toilet bowl gasket trick and it seems to work very well also..the fishfinder seems to be right on when i compare it to depths on the chart...thanks for all of the advice...and for a non permanent solution the wax gasket works well...and i have no fears of it moving as it is in a location that will not be used for storage etc...just aft of the head under the cabin sole it is quite flat there