Recent Upgrades Process

Baslin

Member III
Here are a few pictures of some upgrades i have been tackling over the last month or so. slow but steady. Headliner replacement and rebed and replace port light acrylic lenses.

Headliner1.jpgHeadliner2.jpgHeadliner3.jpg

Attachments

• PortLight5.JPG
    PortLight5.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 48
  • PortLight2.JPG
    PortLight2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 49

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Imaginative. Did you glue battens to the overhead, or are they already there?

And there's nothing like being able to see out of the portlights again.

Profile says boat is E38.

Baslin

Member III
I had orginally thought of running the new headliner slats fore and aft and using the existing braces in place. But then after designing it in my head, I noticed I would have to come up with some difficult cuts as the boat starts to taper. I then glued in braces that run fore and aft and ran my headliner slats cross ways.....My cuts are much easier and I am liking the way its turning out.

We bought our 1983 E38 from the original owner almost 1 year ago. She was basically left unattended as a lot of boats are. The boat is in good shape but just needed some TLC and a little elbow grease to bring her back to life. Hoping to do some extended cruising in about 4 years.

Last edited:

jsnaulty

Member II
port replacement

how did you get the port plastic replacement- I have the same ports -they seem to be rare- and i really need to replace the plastic.

steve naulty
ericson 35-3 'anodyne'
shadyside MD

Baslin

Member III
I took one of the old lenses to a company called "Thermo-Mold" here in Houston Tx. The lenses are made from acrylic. I had them copy them and cut me 6. I also chose an acrylic with tint. Im sure you can research some kind of plastic or acrylic company in your area. Try and stay away from a company that deals strictly with boats because the price would probably double as we all know. I paid $35 dollars a piece

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Steve,

I used Maritime Plastics in Annapolis (910-J Bestgate Rd., (410)263-4424 (just behind Annapolis Mall off US-50) for cast acrylic for 2 big overhead hatches and 4 opening ports. They are easy to get to, experienced and easy to work with. I had the tinted acrylic cut for four small Gioit ports (4.5" x 9.5" x 0.25 thick) for $91.23 plus tax.

They will charge $75 to layout EACH job and then the cost of the material. Their cost of material is comparable to other plastic shops, so if you have many pieces for the the same job it may work out. Just bring them a port lens to get an estimate. You can also call them and get a rough estimate. They will also drill any holes and finish the edges which it looks like you need ( I didn't) which might cost additional.

For single pieces like a hatch there may be cheaper ways to go as the $75 layout fee doesn't get spread out over multiple pieces. My 20 x 20 x 0.5 tinted hatch was $130 ($75 + 55) and the 25 x 25 x 0.5 was $170 ($75 + 90). This was a little high due to the layout fee but I wanted to get the hatches done without finding another shop.

FWIW, any local plastics retailer will be much less expensive than getting the acrylic from the original mfg. The acrylic from Atkins Hoyle was $400 EACH! And it does not come drilled for latches if you have them. Rigrite now handles the parts for Gioit ports so you don't even want to know what that "custom order" would cost.

The only other plastics place I've heard of near us is Read Plastics in Rockville (301)881-7900. Found them after I did my hatches. I will get an estimate from them for my companionway acrylic project.

Mark