Raw Water Pump - Pulley on Shaft

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
I'm replacing the raw water pump on my Westerbeke 10Two as the old one had seized. I know I can rebuild it, but for the time constraints I have and the price delta (about $60), I decided to go new. On to my question...

The old shaft had a spot where the set screw from the pulley seated.
OldPumpShaft.jpg

The new one doesn't have that (the mark you see is where I did an initial fit of the pulley).
NewPumpShaft.jpg

Was that spot worn in over time, or should I use a drill and put a little notch in the shaft? Will the set screw work just fine gripping against the flat surface of the shaft?

Thanks!

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
The engine if it is the westerbeke/bukh 10
No - I don't know anything about a hand crank.

I'd still like some advice about my water pump shaft, if someone else has done this before.

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
It won't hurt to put a dimple in the shaft for the set screw to engage. That was not just a worn spot in the shaft. It was intentional.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
I don't know the setup you have, but could it be the absence of a divot allows you to adjust the pulley in or out to line up with the rest of the pulleys using the belt?

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
It won't hurt to put a dimple in the shaft for the set screw to engage. That was not just a worn spot in the shaft. It was intentional.
Thanks. That's what it looked like to me, too, but having zero experience at this, I thought it worth asking.

I don't know the setup you have, but could it be the absence of a divot allows you to adjust the pulley in or out to line up with the rest of the pulleys using the belt?
Good thought, also. Perhaps I should get everything aligned, then put a dimple in it. Here's what the old one looked like all together (top right pulley/pump):
OldWaterPump.jpg

A previous owner got REALLY happy with the red paint.

Appreciate everyone's help!