race weekend

thomthod

Member II
100_4838.jpg100_4837.jpg100_4839.jpg

She is not the fastest on the water but sure is purdy! We came in 5th out of 8 boats!

Thom

Blooz Traveler

E29:egrin:

brianb00

O - 34
Y.a.r.p.

Yet another race photo - single handed event, Olson 34 (Ericson build), May 12 SF Bay. 22 mile spin run with 7 jybes. Too much fun in one lifetime.

Brian
RedSky

Attachments

• StandDownMarathon2012.jpg
    StandDownMarathon2012.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 79

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Both boats are lovely!
Gotta ask: Brian, handling three sails... did you lose a pound or three?
How'd you do the jibes? AP driving while you did foredeck??
:egrin:

LB

Last edited:

thomthod

Member II
Very nice Brian! I am sure you got a few bruises and bumps and scrapes as myself and crew did in 15-20kt winds. One of my crew bled on my new sail. I am changing the name to blood and gutz!

T

brianb00

O - 34
Hi Loren,

Jybes are with the AP on. My most exciting jybe was at around 20kts of wind, I always utter a few prayers when I start jybes above 17 kts. The AP in use is 100% my own design, including the electronics (computer). I have some magic coded in to help it all stay stable in jybe mode, but no matter what you do there are going to be conditions where the best solution is to warp yourself around the mast, clip in, and hang on.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Gybing

Very cool to have the AP programmed for the gybes. I am sure the headsail is dropped for gybes, though..:)

brianb00

O - 34
Actually Seth I did gybe once with the jib in place to avoid having to re hoist, but the winds were under 15 and I can just end for end the pole around the 100.

Attached is another shot of my poor old Kevlar main after hitting a patch to 30+ winds about a mile from the finish line. I tossed in a reef, but the flogging did in the sail. Note the vertical holes.
Old_Kevlar_Main.jpg

Very cool to have the AP programmed for the gybes. I am sure the headsail is dropped for gybes, though..:)