Question: Push button switches on the electrical panel

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have the original push button switches on both my AC and DC panels on our 1984 E30+. They have worked well, but recently one became a little harder to push in/out. I sprayed a small amount of grease, then added a bit of dielectric grease and "worked" it a bit. That seemed to help it.
I tried to buy a replacement as a spare, but couldn't find them anywhere--chandleries, amazon, electric shop.
So, two questions: Firstly, does anyone know where these older style push on/off switches might be available?
Secondly, any advice on maintenance to keep my switches working properly? They don't seem corroded.
Thanks for any help!
Frank

Attachments

• 20240212_145128.jpg
    20240212_145128.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 19

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
How about this one?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I might be mistaken, but I believe that those buttons are circuit breakers, and like the later versions on my boat, are routinely used as switches.
There is a past thread with a source for the breaker, but it will take some searching to find it.

Frank Langer

I might be mistaken, but I believe that those buttons are circuit breakers, and like the later versions on my boat, are routinely used as switches.
There is a past thread with a source for the breaker, but it will take some searching to find it.
The chandlery has circuit breakers that look like this, but they don't have the on/off button, they are just circuit breakers.
The one BigD14 found at McMaster Carr might work. Thanks, Doug!
Any maintenance advice to keep mine working?
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I never felt need for on/off button, since the circuit breaker does that (neither of my models had such a button).

What I do find useful is the indicator light for each breaker, which reminds me what's on or not on.

I guess your buttons light up when activated?

Frank Langer

I never felt need for on/off button, since the circuit breaker does that (neither of my models had such a button).

What I do find useful is the indicator light for each breaker, which reminds me what's on or not on.

I guess your buttons light up when activated?
No, my buttons don't light up, but I can tell visually, or by feel, which ones are out (off) or in (on).
Christian, if you only have indicator lights, how do you turn on each accessory? There must be a switch of some kind?
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
They're just toggle switches on the breakers.

The 32-3 used plastic, which I think are still available. The 381 used steel toggles, same as in the airplanes I flew, which when I replaced a few a while back were still available in Murrell's Inlet, S.C. More here. They stock various old breakers and switches.

2 Ericson 32-3 Panel lamps.JPG...2 Ericson 38 DC panel.JPG

Frank Langer

They're just toggle switches on the breakers.

The 32-3 used plastic, which I think are still available. The 381 used steel toggles, same as in the airplanes I flew, which when I replaced a few a while back were still available in Murrell's Inlet, S.C. More here. They stock various old breakers and switches.

View attachment 49213...View attachment 49214
Thanks for your reply, Christian. I understand now, but if you look at my initial pic, you'll see that my push button switches likely predate yours, and it seems they're very hard to find. But maybe at McMaster Carr.
Frank

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks for your reply, Christian. I understand now, but if you look at my initial pic, you'll see that my push button switches likely predate yours, and it seems they're very hard to find. But maybe at McMaster Carr.
Frank
Pretty sure those are breakers and not just switches. So I think the McMaster-Carr link bigd14 provided isn't going to be of much help.

Frank Langer

Pretty sure those are breakers and not just switches. So I think the McMaster-Carr link bigd14 provided isn't going to be of much help.
Alan,
I'm a little out of my depth on this issue. I think you're right that my switches are also circuit breakers, and the McMaster Carr switches are just switches without circuit breakers. If I added a fuse to the positive wire, would that achieve the same thing? If so, what size fuse would be appropriate--the switch is for receptacles which provide power for a small ceramic heater (1500 watts), 40 amp battery charger, phone charger. I plug into 30 amp shore power when at a marina, so I'm thinking a 30 amp fuse. Any advice?
Frank

Frank Langer