Question on new price of 1976 e35

Capt Jeff

Member I
Hello all,
I took Sadie out for a 80 mile cruise a week or two ago and one of my volunteering crew members asked a question I could not answer. "So how much did your 1976 e35 cost new?"... uh...er... I finally said "I dunno... good question. After viewing and sailing other boats her size and comforts and knowing the high price they paid for such a vessel, it makes me wonder what the going price was for Sadie new.

Anyone know? I am 40 now so in 76 I was flying kites and doing what other poor kids do instead of searching for 35' sailboats. I would greatly apreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks, Jeff

Skip Jim

Member II
This was a comment in a posting back in December. It's not your year, but might give you some idea.

I am the second owner of 87 E35-III looks like it was 90K with all the extras.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not sure about a '76, but my '88 [Ericson] Olson 34 (with a long list of factory extras) reportedly sold new for about $90K.

Loren

Lucky Dog

Member III
My 1973 hull 329 base cost

My 1973 hull 329 base cost $27,780.

wheel 1,045.00
Stern pulpit 165.00
Spinnaker gear 575.00
Lifelines & stanchions w/gates 350.00
Holding tank 530.0
Galley stove - 3 burner w/oven 395.00
Diesel 2,875.00
Compass - 5" pedestal mount
Commissioning 500.00
Bow pulpit 150.00

How prices have changed
ml

mgray003

Member II
The April 1, 1978 Ericson price list (posted in the documents section of this website) shows a base price of $39,500 for the E-35. Hope this helps.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
the more things change the more they stay the same

Base cost 27,780... plus a few item costs.... seems to be the going rate for one today! It just seems cheep cause the money used to be worth something and harder to make

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Ah, I hope to someday make.. I mean be, above average. But it is still nice to know somethings are worth what you paid for them, inflation or no that is rare these days.

chrism

Inactive Member
My '71 E-35 cost my parents more in 1985 than it did the original owner in 1971, and that's after two Atlantic crossings and a trek all over the Med and Carribean... To my understanding, Ericsons were expensive for their time. After all, John Kerry's parents owned an E-35, and they had a good amount of cash...

Meanwhile, I'm in SF for the weekend. Any recomendations on a Marina where I can see a lot of Ericsons? Being from Massachusetts, I've never seen more than four or five in a harbor...

Chris

CaptDan

Member III
Meanwhile, I'm in SF for the weekend. Any recomendations on a Marina where I can see a lot of Ericsons? Being from Massachusetts, I've never seen more than four or five in a harbor...

Chris[/QUOTE]

SF Bay is Ericson Central. They're pretty spread out among all the marinas, but if you go to:

Sausalito: Clipper Yacht Harbor - Plenty of Ericsons - 27,29,32, 34, and two 35IIs berthed together - Basin 3. {gated marina}

Sausalito: Cass Marina: one of the most actively sailed day charter boats - an E35II (name escapes me). She'll probably be out sailing if you go there, however.:egrin:

Sausalito Yacht Harbor - the big one downtown - E-Boats plus plenty of other fine yachts. Accessible to public.

You'll see E-Boats at virtually any SF waterfront marina, too: SF Marina, and Pier 39 among them. Again, their owners enjoy sailing them, so if it's a nice day, and there are empty berths, you'll know why.:egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

chaco

Member III
Oceanside SideTrip

We have a BUNCH of Ericsons here in Oceanside and all over SoCal Harbors.
A perfectly fine E35II was just sold for $5000 Salvage to get the Slip.
PowerBoaters are buying these boats from the Brokers for the Value of the
Slip on TOP of their boat price and the Brokers Salvage them out :confused:
Check with these Pirates for some unbelievable Deals on those 70's Ericsons
Lots of HOBBY Owners are also throwing in the Boat Towel to pay for other
Toys and Mortgage Payments. Visit the Harbors, get on the Docks with a
Broker and keep your EYE OPEN for Owner Sales as you Cruise the Slips.
One of a Kind DEALS are also advertised ONLY on our Local Bulletin Boards.
Owners would really rather Sell to other Sailers than to the Pirates :nerd:

Good Luck to You :egrin: :egrin:

Capt Jeff

Member I
Wow!

Hey thanks guys! Now I know what to tell people when they ask. They sure have kept up with value.... well... sorta. :egrin:

I was thinking of buying an e38 or 39... but after sailing Sadie in some rough seas.... I think she will take me anywhere safely and I can single hand her easy... anything bigger and the tackle and such gets too much for crew to handle. Everyone that crews with me thinks my sails are too heavy....hehehe.. they are used to 23 footers..lol. So I usually leave the helm for someone else while I flake the sails myself ( plus you can't place blame on sails packed away wrong if you do it yourself).

Anywho.... thanks again!:egrin:

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
my stratagy is to go for the e38.....its a bit bigger, a bit more $$, a bit more stable and "confy"...If your are doing long term ownership & cruising ... the extra space and features will more than offset the extra energy and resources the e38 will require to run and manage...IMHO of course.....:egrin:...Having said that, the e35's & e32's are great stable boats, and a joy to sail....you won't go wrong w/any of those...esp if you take time to outfit and really get to know the boat...cheers !! :)

Hey thanks guys! Now I know what to tell people when they ask. They sure have kept up with value.... well... sorta. :egrin:

I was thinking of buying an e38 or 39... but after sailing Sadie in some rough seas.... I think she will take me anywhere safely and I can single hand her easy... anything bigger and the tackle and such gets too much for crew to handle. Everyone that crews with me thinks my sails are too heavy....hehehe.. they are used to 23 footers..lol. So I usually leave the helm for someone else while I flake the sails myself ( plus you can't place blame on sails packed away wrong if you do it yourself).

Anywho.... thanks again!:egrin: