Pulling the engine in a E 35-II

leighton

Member I
I posted this for those who are puzzling over how to get the engine out of the bilge of 35 Mark II. I slung a 3" aluminum whisker pole from the boom inside of the cabin, with the slings going through the companionway and the main hatch. I then attached a come-along to the whisker pole and was able to raise the engine with little trouble. This was a 350 pound Atomic 4, with the head and fly wheel and manifold still attached.

We were able to lift it straight up, then set it down to the starboard side. Then we slid it to the open companionway on a cushion. From there we attached the come-along to the boom and hoisted it straight up, then slid it into the cockpit. When the new engine comes (a Moyer-rebuilt A4) we'll reverse the process.

Hope this helps someone who is wondering about whether or not to pull the engine. If I'd known how easy it would be, I wouldn't have struggled so hard in the past with working on the engine while it was still sitting on the engine mounts.

Attachments

• Hoist.jpg
    Hoist.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 211
  • Outside.jpg
    Outside.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 228

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
A suggestion: if you make a second lift point on the engine (I have tried two metal loops through the installed lifting point, and also tying nylon rope in a harness around the engine) you can move it from one come-along to another without having to drop it onto a cushion and slide it along the floor.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

How I pulled my Atomic Four

First: sorry I didn't take any pics of the process. I pulled the A4 out of my E35-II by supporting my boom using my halyards and topping lift. I then put loose lashings around the boom above the cabin hatch and above the companionway. I hooked a come-a-long to the forward lashings and my main-sheet tackle to the aft lashings (with the hauling part at the bottom. I then hooked both tackles to a small piece of chain bolted to the middle cylinder head-bolts (the cylinder head had been removed).
With an assistant controling/lifting the transmission I raised the front of the engine with the come-a-long until it was clear of the engine well and then sat it down on a piece of plywood in the dinette area.
I then laid a 2x12x8 ft. from the second step of the companion way stairs angled down to the cabin-floor. We hoisted the engine onto the 2x12 then released/unhooked the come-a-long. We turned the engine around and then, using the mainsheet tackle hauled the engine up the 2x12 until it was centered under the companionway hatch opening. With my assistant steadying the engine on the 2x12 I slid the lashings for the mainsheet tackle to center over the companionway hatch opening then raised the engine to a height where we could move the 2x12 up and rest one end of it on the companionway threshold and the other end resting on a 2x4 crossing from one cockpit seat to the opposite one. Note: I left about 2 feet on the forward side of the 2x12 projecting into the cabin so that I could lower the engine to rest onto the 2x12 while I slid the mainsheet lashings (and both halyards) progressively aft to a point where we could swing the engine on the boom to be lowered to the dock. The only real preperations I had to make for this process was to screw a piece of 2x2 to the cabin-side, and a piece of 1x2 to the cockpit-side of of the underside of the 2x12 to restrain the movement of the 2x12 fore and aft while we slid the engine aft on the 2x12.
This whole process took about 20 minutes from hooking up the tackle to hoisting the engine down to the dock. The only real expense was the piece of 2x12 which I had to discard as it got oily from the engine-haul, (this waste of wood could be prevented by using a rag or old rug under the engine). I recommend this method for it's ease, and relative safety by using the 2x12 to support the engine most of the time (rather than having it dangle from a hoist). Mike G. in Honolulu:egrin:

chaco

Member III
The Ole 4x4 Trick

Here is another E35II Engine RePlacement Beam for your Struggling Pleasure.

Hope yer Changin over to Diesel :egrin: :egrin:

Attachments

• Engine RePower1.JPG
    Engine RePower1.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 246

dbwrcoach

Humped it out

We just used a cutting wheel and cut off as many pieces as possible and lifted the remaining 300 pound block to the cockpit deck and then to the seat ( on some lifevests and then over the side - drydocked of course). But we were sore for days.....

chaco

Member III
Boom Caution

I would not recommend using your Boom as a Structural Support for your
hoist beams. Even when you unbolt the engine mounts these little buggers are
gonna be stuck in there one way or another. The amount of force needed to
"Break em Loose" WILL put a huge strain on your Boom...way beyond design.
Using a hoist beam suspended with stringers and line across the Hatch opening and Companionway will not cause any potential damage :cool:
Once the engine is loose....slide er across the floor on a piece of rug and hoist
er out of the cabin and on to the dock with your Boom and Main Sheet crane setup.....then (4) extremely strong Marines will help you from there :)

Good Luck to ALL you Brave Souls with Guts enough to Pull that Old Engine !