Proper hello, new owners of a 30+ and ongoing issues thread.

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
Hello all! I'm Jeff and Melissa here, first-time sailboat owners! Very excited to get out there but haven't gotten off the docks yet.

We bought the boat with the engine not running but were confident it was a good engine due to the owner having a video of the engine running. Installed new batteries and uh-oh still didn't start. A little bit of diagnosis, a new key switch later and she lives! I had made another thread asking about water "below" the finished TAFG bilge area. We got that water out with an evacuation tool that will later also be used for oil changes and then vacuumed up all the debris we found down there. After that, we have just been cleaning and figuring out the systems.

So that leads to us - in my first life I was an ASE-certified Master auto mechanic, in my thirties I went on to join the Air Force Reserves as a heavy equipment operator while simultaneously earning my FAA commercial helicopter pilot and A&P mechanic certificates. Through a series of events, I've ended up flying airplanes instead and now work for a major airline as a pilot. After my stint in the Reserves and I then joined the Air National Guard as a Weather Forecaster. So... all skills I hope will help us with our retirement dream of circumnavigating! To date, I've only done an ASA 101 course, though I hope to do some more in the near future. Right now we have had to shift gears from plan one to try and get our boat more seaworthy since we happened by a good deal unexpectedly. Of course, a good deal on a boat means lots of work hahahaha. Missy was an office manager, currently just my domestic engineer and gracious enough to go along with my crazy schemes :cool:

I think it would be fair to say I have a good base of knowledge to work from but I still have a lot to learn about boats. I hope to use this thread to use all of ya'lls experience in getting our boat seaworthy. We both greatly appreciate any help.

Before we go any further with issues - boat pictures!

IMG_20220731_131214.jpg

IMG_20220814_104546.jpg
IMG_20220814_104555.jpgIMG_20220814_104601.jpgIMG_20220814_104608.jpgIMG_20220814_104619.jpgIMG_20220814_104625.jpg
IMG_20220814_104631.jpgIMG_20220814_104638.jpg

We look forward to getting to know ya'll :cool:

Last edited:

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
The first weird issue - I shut off all the sea cocks. Then when we came back the next day, the sink was full of water. Opened the seacock and it drained right out. It did not rain overnight.

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
The next thing I want to figure out right away is that the forward cleat is missing on the starboard side. Right now it is tied to the dock utilizing the bollard(<? is that the right word for where the anchor is tied to).

It looks like I would have to disassemble the V-Berth to gain really bad access underneath that area. OR I was thinking about just cutting an access hole in the anchor locker... would that be a bad idea? Of course, I would need to properly fiberglass the area afterward and repaint but that sounds easier that taking apart a possible fragile interior. Thoughts or ideas?
20220807_122034.jpg

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
Lastly for today, what the heck are these little screw post things around the window called?

PXL_20220813_181036933_2.jpgPXL_20220813_181059951_2.jpgPXL_20220813_181106917_2.jpg

We'd like to order a few of these to use for a window curtain. We were planning to just string up some elastic cord from these posts to use as "curtain rods" so to speak.

Thanks all, very much appreciated!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have the perfect background and interest in complex systems for successful ownership of a 40-year-old sailboat. :)

Please do post a new thread for different topics and issues as they come up--and resurrect existing threads as you discover they apply to your issue. That works better than a single thread that contains many topics.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Congratulations on your boat purchase--these are lovely boats and sail so well! We have owned our 1984 E30+ for 16 years and love that boat!
Some answers to your questions: On many E30+ boats the cockpit scupper/drain hose connects to the same thru hull seasick as the galley sink, so if you close that seacock, water from boat washing or rain from that scupper will gradually fill the sink. Therefore I never close that seacock.
Yes, you can cut a hole in the side of the anchor locker to install a bow cleat, but rather than fibreglass afterwards, some owners have added a plastic port, so they have future access if needed. The side of the locker isn't under any strain, so that wouldn't create any structural problem.
Enjoy your new boat, and ask questions as needed - - we all did, and still do. :)
Frank

frick

Member III
Congratulations on your boat purchase--these are lovely boats and sail so well! We have owned our 1984 E30+ for 16 years and love that boat!
Some answers to your questions: On many E30+ boats the cockpit scupper/drain hose connects to the same thru hull seasick as the galley sink, so if you close that seacock, water from boat washing or rain from that scupper will gradually fill the sink. Therefore I never close that seacock.
Yes, you can cut a hole in the side of the anchor locker to install a bow cleat, but rather than fibreglass afterwards, some owners have added a plastic port, so they have future access if needed. The side of the locker isn't under any strain, so that wouldn't create any structural problem.
Enjoy your new boat, and ask questions as needed - - we all did, and still do. :)
Frank
this is a great solution... i would also use g10 fiberglass board as a backing plate for the cleat.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
OR I was thinking about just cutting an access hole in the anchor locker..
Re-bedding the anchor pan is a common maintenance item for these boats. While it’s out you can replace that cleat (go up a size!) and add the G10 backing plates. Or you can glass in a plywood bulkhead and create a larger anchor locker. Some photos of this modification I did on my boat here: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/e26-2-anchor-roller.18929/page-2

Double check all the seacocks and hoses. The old ribbed vinyl hoses are probably at the end of their life and should be replaced. Also make sure the seacocks are in good working order and do not have the PVC elbows or fittings on them. Lots of threads on here about all those items, the search function is your friend! Also see Maine Sails tutorial on thru hulls seacocks and all other marine plumbing issues. https://marinehowto.com/category/plumbing/

And congrats on the boat, it looks great (I’ll admit I’m slightly biased).

Doug