PossibleProblems to look for in E 31 Independence

dt222

Member III
Hi Jefjo,

I have a dated copy of Glyn's master list and can tell you a bit more. From the list, then engine is a Yanmar 3GM30F (same engine that Glyn and I have). Steering is a wheel w/box. It was moored at Oyster Bay Marine Center (Mooring CA 19). Name was For Sail and owned by a gentleman from Manhattan. The price was $37k in 1979 and the boat was registered in New York state. It's hull number 11 and was built in 1977.

I'm sure Glyn will add more details.

Don

Glyn Judson

Hull #11 and a little about what I know of her.

Don is spot on about the boat and here's what little I can add. I boarded her in the late afternoon of March 4, 2007, attached are three images I took of her. I tried tp met with the then owner who lived somewhere in Manhattan but he couldn't break away from work as I recall. My cursory visual inspection at the time was that she was pretty clean but I was under a lot of pressure because the shore boat driver needed to get me back to the boatyard in a hurry for some reason, maybe it was nearing closing, can't remember that far back with clarity. I think he might have circled the boat while I was aboard, made me super nervous. Fast forward a year or two and I got word from another E31(?) Ericson oner that she no longer belonged to him. Apparently this Manhattan guy wanted to move her quickly and did so by placing an ad on Craigs List offering her to the first respondent at no cost. He got a call within five minutes of posting the ad, actually scores if not hundreds of calls but true to form he gave the boat and title to the first caller. That's where the trail went cold for me so who knows, this might just be the first caller or maybe not. All the best, Glyn

Attachments

• Hull #11, Galley table.jpg
    Hull #11, Galley table.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Hull #11, Starboard view.jpg
    Hull #11, Starboard view.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Hull #11, Yanmar 3GM30F.jpg
    Hull #11, Yanmar 3GM30F.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 25

Jefjo

The current owner bought her in'16. heres some shots of the interior as it is today. I hate to say it, but the current owner didn't take the best care of her. Sad. I saw a lot of "must do" projects including hatches, an severe oil leak from the motor, and that spray foam nightmare. The head also stinks sooooo bad! I'm not sure he had a pump out done last season and the piping looks like it leaks. There are loads of smaller jobs that I would do to get her back to original shape, and then some upgrades. I'm shopping for a boat to refit on a Youtube channel I'm starting and then she would be the boat my kids learn to sail on. I thought she was perfect for this, but the owner is telling me that he has several parties looking (sale tactic maybe) and he wants it gone in the next few days so I may pass. No rush decisions!.

Attachments

• IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1759.jpg
    IMG_1759.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg