Plastic door/cabinet latches ?

Sven

Seglare
I'm sure that isn't the right name for them which might explain why I haven't found them by Googling :)

I'm talking about the plastic ones, like the ones in the attached pictures. I'd like to get a bunch of them to replace the metal ones on Senta II.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Attachments

• DSC_9260.jpg
    DSC_9260.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_9261.jpg
    DSC_9261.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 43

Guy Stevens

Svends has them

Svendsons has them along with several other better versions. I like the bronze version with the two ball bearings a lot better than the plastic version in your photo, and the pricing difference is not all that great.

Guy Stevens
www.realworldcruising.com

Sven

Seglare
Brass balls

Ok, bronze :)

What makes them better than the plastic ones, other than aesthetics ?

That's a serious question even if I made a joke out of it.

Thanks,

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plastics....

Most plastic degrades from aging and eventually breaks -- probably at some inconvenient time.
Stamped metal is usually plated steel and the sea air corrodes it.
The brass stuff seems to hold up better, although it probably likes some "Boeshield" or similar stuff sprayed on it once in a while.
Are you planning to replace them all with positive catches, on some sort of long term cabinet door-by-door program?
(That might be called Finnish carpentry, if you like woodworking puns...)
:rolleyes:

Loren

Sven

Seglare
Loren,

you are probably all right that the bronze ones would hold up better in the long term. If I remember correctly they might even have adjustment screws to make them tighter or looser ?

Step one it to get rid of the flimsy steel spring ones, probably half a dozen.

The longer term project is to install positive locking latches on all the drawers, doors, and access panels under settees and in the cabin sole. I haven't found what I think I'm looking for yet.

Thanks,

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Svendsons has them along with several other better versions. I like the bronze version with the two ball bearings a lot better than the plastic version in your photo, and the pricing difference is not all that great.

Svendsons looks interesting ! I think it is good that they are not local or we'd be even more tempted to B.O.A.T. :)

Their on-line selection is a little thin but the Gil dry-suit looks very interesting at <$500.

Thanks for the pointer.

-Sven

tadslc

Member III
I've been looking at latches for my cabinets and found some at WM that look identical to the OEM on my boat.

Look up part #7218902 or 7218910 on their website, they might be of interest.

I haven't ordered them yet but will be shortly.

Tad

chaco

Member III
Save your Money

Check out www.foreandaftmarine.com. These guys kick BOOTY on WM with Great Service! I agree with Guy and use the Marpac 7-0221 Brass Door Catch shown in Door Hardware. Salt air prematurely degrades plastic along with UV.

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Trick for installing in the blind ?

Ok, found some this weekend and installed two of them. I installed one of them with access from a drawer above, the other with no access so it was done in the blind. They both worked out fine, but it took a lot of uncomfortable lying on the cabin sole trying to measure inside the door opening to make sure the male and female parts would align perfectly. The adjustment screws gives some leeway but I'm thinking there must be some trick that would make it less time consuming ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Sven,

You can try mounting the female part to the cabinet then put the male piece in place on the female part. Now use some chalk or pencil lead and coat the part of the male piece that will contact the door front (close the door). You should end up with an imprint of the male part on the cabinet door.

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Sven,

You can try mounting the female part to the cabinet then put the male piece in place on the female part. Now use some chalk or pencil lead and coat the part of the male piece that will contact the door front. You should end up with an imprint of the male part on the cabinet door.

That's an idea worth trying. I was expecting someone to suggest a way of holding the screws in place on the male part so they could be used to make marks just like your crayon or pencil idea. I'll try it when we get back down to Senta II.

Thanks,

-Sven