PHRF for Ericson 35

crewman1

I am a new owner of an Ericson 35 III, 1984 and I love the boat and I want to race with it. Does anywone know the PHRF for a Ericson 35:confused:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
USSailing PHRF Database

You can get an idea for what you might be from USSailing at http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets/Offshore/PHRF/High+Low+Mean+PHRF+Handicaps.pdf.

They list the average handicap as 126. I think thats the base handicap, and you might get credits for fixed props, smaller headsails, shoal keel, roller furler, and other "go slower" devices.

From my limited experience, I don't think thats a "gift" rating, but you should be competitive with a well prepared boat, good sails, and an experienced crew.

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
35-3 PHRF Rating

My Lake Michigan PHRF rating is 132 issued 6/19/10......with a folding propeller and a 155 Genoa.....Racing Jib and Main only the non Spinnaker rating is 147.....also, the boat is deep draft 6.17 Measured draft.

Hope this helps....

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My base was 123(PHRFNE.ORG). My adjusted cruising rating was 141. I was very competitive. We have won the summer beer can series racing against boats that rate from 141 to 249. We have also won long distance races. Almost never lower than 3rd.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Competitive PHRF Rating!

Cory:

The boat is more than competitive with that rating.....evidently there must be some new factors taken into cinsideration, but I cannot tell what they are......

It is possible that there are enough of the 35-3's racing and possibly where they place is a factor.....after all..... it is supposed to be based on performance....

I did well with the boat in Florida when I raced there under their Mickey Mouse rating system.......but my biggest handicap was that our "YOUNG" cabin boy is 65......and the rest of the ages went uphill...or down as you would prefer....from there....

So far I have been training my young Niece and Nephew (40's) and sailing very conservativly we have finished quite well......

FWIW