Palm Pilot / PDA

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
My old palm pilot is NMC. Before I buy a replacement, can anyone recommend something that is good for navigation from the cockpit?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I was hoping you would answer, Geoff. I have used a Garmin in the past, but I have plans for taking the boat far enough I can not shell out $150 for each region. You seemed to be finding two years ago that regular online charts can be used on a pda, which sounded like a great way to supplement a laptop in the cabin when in tight navigation areas.

Did you ever do any more experimentation with software than you metioned before? And did you find 64MB of RAM enough?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Gareth, I had already purchased the BSB charts for my area. You would still need to find raster charts for every area where you are going. I believe that Garmin is now preloading the entire world (in detail) on its new units. You might want to check that out.

windjunkee

Member III
I know this is probably too much information, but when I bought the "Deckman" tactical software program, it comes with the ability to broadcast wireless info to a PDA or tablet. We have a laptop hooked up at the nav station with the instruments and gps plugged in through a serial port. Potentially, I could beam any information I wanted up to the pda.
I haven't done it yet and, quite frankly, I'm still learning the program. But as you can ping the start line, the program calculates approach angles to the line and ETA, which would be helpful to have in the cockpit as opposed to having someone below shouting out times. I know from research that the waterproof tablet PC's are pricey -- in the range of $2,000. eek.

By the way, I bought the C-Map charts for the entire west coast of north america to load into the laptop and it cost under $200.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA