painting interoir fiberglass

nathansackett

so after much research, i decided to paint the interoir of my e-27. the fiberglass looked like hell, with rust stains, a vareity of holes etc. i patched holes, sanded the entire interior and painted the entire interior with acrylic enamyl housepaint, as rechomended by various people.

now, although it looks sparkly and clean, i am seeing spots that the paint easily scratchs off. regret is washing over me for doing this. is that entirty of my work going to be scratched off and look worse than before?
does any one know of a cure for this? some sort of heavier paint? some coating? something?

thanks,
doomed in sausalito.

Sailsteve

Paint

I think your problem may be due to moisture, wax or oil on the fiberglass. Household latex paints are water based and don't necessarily stand up to the marine environment.

I think I would have used some kind of a marine grade primer before applying the latex. In another boat I owned I painted the V berth area with KL-990 epoxy primer. It was a nice white color and that was all it needed. The KL-990 is a boat bottom primer that sticks nicely and seals the bare gel coat or fiberglass. It lasted for as long as I owned the boat and did not chip or discolor.

Don't fret about your paint job. In a worst case scenario, you can always sand off the paint in the affected areas, apply a little primer to the spot and then paint over that with the paint you were using.

Steve

JORGE

Member III
coating interior

You can contact interlux.com for tech support and advice on preparing the base.