packless seal system

Doug Willrich

considering installing a PYI packless seal system on my 1988 38-200. Prop shaft is 1", does anyone know the diameter of the stern tube. Any comments from those who have done this installation

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A vote in favor....

I have one of these since about '95. No problems, and a dry bilge.
Boat is an '88 Olson 34 with a 23 hp Universal and a 2 blade feathering prop.
You will need to measure the diameter of the stern tube or at least determine the size of the hose that connects it to the old stuffing box.

Look at my post on this site dated 10-19-02, in the Maint. and Mechanical Forum, with a picture of mine in place. Title of post is "new strainer and thruhull"...

Loren in PDX

Last edited:

noproblemo2

Member III
We had the shaft packed with that 2 years ago and within the first year it was leaking like crazy, so we went back to the other, maybe just a bad installer?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You do not "pack" a PSS seal system...

NoProblemo2,
I cannot be sure from your post if you are referring to a packing material or the PSS shaft seal, which uses a "face" seal and does not use packing rings of any kind.

Note that installing a PSS seal means totally removing the original stuffing box and the old hose.

Per chance, did you try one of the teflon packing ring replacements, and then have bad luck with it? FWIW those seem to generate great praise or occasional strong complaints. I have had no experience with them.

:confused:

Loren

Chip Lohman

I installed the PYI seal 2 years ago and have had no leaks. It ran dry once in a rough seaway and started squeeling. I burped it while underway and it returned to normal. Biggest problem was pulling the prop shaft out far enough to install it without removing the rudder. Removing the prop did the trick.
-------------------------------
Whispering Swan, Quantico VA