Packing Gland Flax for E38-200

Kerry Kukucha

Member II
Hello All:

Well, the drips are winning, so it's time to tackle my packing gland this weekend. In reviewing the manual, 1/8th" flax is called for - is this the correct width or should it be 3/16th" per another thread reference (for a 1" shaft)?

Any iput or suggestions will, as always, be greatly appreciated!

many thnx,

Jon Anton

My manual calls for the same, which is not correct.
I have a 1" shaft on our 32-200, and that needs 1/4" packing. Just hauled and repacked. No big deal.
There are some other good threads on this, as well.
Fair winds.

Jon Berge

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
It doesn't matter what the manual or anyone else may have. You have to measure your own to be sure.

FWIW, mine is 1/8" on a one inch shaft.

Kerry Kukucha

Member II
Success!- Argh!

Well, what an adventure!

Used a drill mounted wire brush wheel to clean off the lock nut & female packing nut, & a liberal dabbing of PB Blaster to loosen things. No effort at all & the nuts were spinning. Backed off the lock nut as far as it would go (all of 1.5") & the moved the packing nut in the opposite direction (all of 3/4") & exposed what appeared to be the 3 pieces of 1/8" flax, per the Ericson manual.....WRONG!

Turns out that the 1"shaft had 1/4" flax (fortunately, I had bought 1/8, 3/16 & 1/4") & I was actually looking at one of three. With great effort & frustation with the minimal working room, was able to extract two pieces & took the advice of a dock mate who said there would be no harm in leaving the transmission side 3rd piece intact. Over the course of > 1hour, the water flow wasn't too bad (only had to run the bilge pump a few times).

Installed the new 1/4" flax & tighted everything up - sea trial tomorrow!