Outhaul on Ericson 23

Sven

Seglare
The best I found was a really crummy picture that I have on Picasa. Use the maginfying glass to zoom in and then imagine that you see:

The line goes from the clew back to a block on the boom.

From the block it goes forward to a small cleat.

Ignore the line that looks like it is wrapped around the boom over the outhaul, I think that was just to keep it from hanging down in the cockpit.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sven.grenander/LaPetiteCollection#5295323498348665602

There is no mechanical advantage in the setup but if the line had gone aft from the clew on the other side it would have given a 2:1.

-Sven

fredn56

Member II
E23 Outhaul pictures

2 pictures of the outhaul on Ad Astra.

Attachments

• outhaul1.jpg
    outhaul1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 234
  • outhaul2.jpg
    outhaul2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 94

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks familiar.
Back in the mists of time, when we were sailing a fractional Ranger 20 with a large main, I added a cascading outhaul tackle. It made a huge difference in trimming that sail.

Loren

fredn56

Member II
Actually it is a regular cleat. I wanted to use a camcleat, but the boom has a curved surface and I decided the regular cleat would be easier.

Attachments

• outhaul cleat.jpg
    outhaul cleat.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 275

SMLROD

Member II
Thanks for the help. I'm going to use this information, Thanks again.

Rodney Schraw
Smith Mountain Lake,VA

(SecondWind)

fredn56

Member II
cleats on the boom

OK, so I have drilled and tapped all of these holes on the boom for regular horn cleats, and now would like to replace them with lance cleats.
I have cleats for reefing lines, topping lift, and outhaul.
What can I do about the vacant holes?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have cleats for reefing lines, topping lift, and outhaul.
What can I do about the vacant holes?

I have either driven blind alum. pop rivets, or filled flush with thickened epoxy. One other cosmetic fix was to use some small plastic flush-plugs from the hardware store. Or, just ignore 'em.

LB