Outboard Motor Bracket Recomendations?

jhackbar

Group,I have a 1977 Ericson 27 with an inboard Atomic 4 which is not running. I a going to buy an Outboard Motor Bracket for a 8hp 2 stroke outboard. Any Recomendations on a bracket? West Marine has an Aluminum bracket for around $200. Is there a better brand? Should I consider a used bracket or Craig's List?Thanks,John

clp

Member III
This type of mount is at Catalina Direct. A little more than 200 bucks, but I have an aluminum mount on another boat that I dislike intensely. Nice big lifting handle on this one, and the brackets are spaced further apart, which can only mean more structural integrity. There are other ones there as well.
Z2275_S01.jpg

clp

Member III
Well, the one I have is kind of hard to explain, (manufacturer unknown), but it is aluminum, and the arms on it are VERY close together, which makes me think that if I were standing on the hard behind the boat, I could grasp the motor, and twist it like a pretzel. It's never given me any trouble per-se, it just looks flimsy. And it being the difference between loosing motor in the water or not.
The handle on the top is a VERY important feature. Another reason that I don't like mine, but that is the deciding factor in whether you can get the motor up and down. My handle reminds me of the bolt action on a M-16. Something else that I'm not fond of..

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I recall the aluminum angle one wth the center pivots close together from the late 70's. Then came were earlier versions of the Garelick one today. By the 80's the Ranger factory had moved to the style of the one pictured now from Catalina Direct -- ss tubing. It was a lot sturdier.

Since then the heavier four stroke OB's have taken over the market and this also requires a stronger and more torque-resistant mount setup. (Way back then the first 10 hp Honda's were being adopted quickly by trailerable sailboat owners and immediately causing problems with the light weight brackets in vogue. Some owners also added a small tackle for lifting the motor bracket into the 'up' position, due to the weight of the four stroke OB's.)

The welded ss version just seems stronger to me, FWIW.

LB