Otter problem

gabosifat

Member III
Hi All,

I have a problem with Otters using the deck of my boat as a home. I say home but this may not be true - toilet might be a more appropriate word! The boat has a light tarp which goes over the boom & only just reaches the lifelines, so there isn't a nice cozy spot for them to curl up under. Today I must have washed off 12 to 15 large messy feces. Our marina guy told me the only thing he's heard is the use of bleach in containers. I've read the same thing about ammonia.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I can't tell you what a crappy feeling it is to go down to your boat each time and encounter this!

Many thanks,
Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Vancouver

andy beach

Member I
Steve We had the same problem here in Friday Harbor.The otter was taking up residence under my dodger. I know this because I was below working on a project when I thought I heard somebody step on board. When I opened the companionway, I suddenly came face to face with my visitor about 6 inches away. It actually took some convincing before he (or she) decided to depart!What finally worked for us was to remove the steps we had positioned at the lifeline gate and spreading bleach on the wooden finger where we are docked at. Good luck!

Art Mullinax

Member III
Shocking experience

Can you set up an electric fence on board? Keeps cows in a fence. What about hitting them with a cattle prode?:devil:
What about 2 pieces of screen wire, one on the dock the other on the boat. Connect a "fly back" transformer from an old TV to the two pieces of screen wire. When they step on the screen wire and complete the circuit, it will give them enough jolt to stay away?:eek: I've heard this keeps dogs from using a car tire and rim as a fire hydrant:egrin:

hodo

Member III
Shocking

Kind of off topic, but if you do something "electrical" take a idea from a close friend of mine. He had a critter problem with his trash can. he says it's a very good idea to let the wife know BEFORE she takes out the trash!! Hodo:devil: