Old telescoping wisker pole need help

FullTilt E28

Member III
So my wife and I just bought a really nice E28 - it came with an older telescoping whisker pole. I know how to use the whisker pole - but this pole is adjustable the outer tube has holes for what I would presume is a spring loaded type button to lock it in various lengths etc. This appears to be missing - I haven't pulled it appart yet - my best guess is that the two sections will easily seperate or in this case one end could easily slide out and end up on the bottom of the bay. To add to the challenge this pole weighs about 5X as much as any spinnaker pole I've delt with as foredeck which doesn't make it any easier to handle.

Anyone know how these old whisker poles should work? Can they be set up with some type of line system for both adusting the length and locking it so both sections stay together?

I'll probably rig something up so we can use our extra halyard as a make shift topping lift. The whisker pole is so heavy it slides down the jib sheet when hooked to the jib sheets - clip it to the jib ring directly works OK but in light air it pulls the jib down and screws up the jib shape.

Any ideas or thoughts around how to make this existing pole work would be great. Not really interested in picking up a new one -given we'll probably get a spinnaker pole and gear for the boat eventually.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Equal to or smaller!

I've got a similar "device" on my E23 (Forespar 2 1/2" & 2"--14#--10' collapsed) IT's EVIL! Extremely heavy & awkward. I used to do foredeck on an E-scow and that 10' pole weighed about 4# MAX.

My button is still there and working, but getting it aligned w/ a "new" hole is a challenge(rotation). There are little blue arrows that are suppose tline up, but it's hard to be in 2 places @ the same time!

The collar btwn. the 2 sections is riveted in place, so if you were to drill out the rivets & slide them apart I'm sure the "button" would be inside(probably a broken rivet)

I think it's right up there w/ the "blooper"!(dead down wind is not fast) they were meant to be trimmed in tight so the jib looks like the main(wing on wing) Purely projected surface area! No aerodynamics! Doesn't go w/ your boat name @ all!

I did add an eye strap & have used it as a "cheap"/unbreakable spinnaker pole! You could thru drill it and add a locking push pin, or go really cheap and pick up a "clevis pin" w/ a semi-circular retainer @ the hdwr. store.

I've given some thought to making it "line" adjustable(check out the price & design on a "new" line adjustable) but it's not high on my "list"!
It's an "expensive" relic from the past!
The best solution is to "sell" it to a "old school cruising guy"!

Good Luck, I'm sure there will be talk of "where you can put it"!

Notice where I keep it! It's extra weight & hard to clean around!

Attachments

• IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 305
Last edited: