Old fuel hose and exhaust elbow to check

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
I was inspecting a Yanmar 2GM engine yesterday and spotted a couple of things worth checking before splashing boats this Spring.

The 2GM is a little brother to the 3GM in some of the Ericsons and first was this massive crack in the exhaust elbow. The owner said that he and his girl friend had smelled exhaust in the cabin and just kept the hatch open. Motoring for a long period while somebody slept next to this could have resulted in carbon monoxide poisoning. Not being a technical guy, he thought it was just a stain till I had him look closer. Fortunately, the crack was on the side opposite the water hose, because these cracks can lead to water going into a piston cylinder and destroying an engine.
Moral of the story is Yanmar, Universal, or whatever other engine - Look at the exhaust elbow from time to time.
20220130_134525-4K.jpg

Second item, other than the obviously loose alternator belt, was the braided fuel hose. It visually looks just fine, but is 34 years old and the rubber is hard as a rock. When they get this bad, the vibration of the engine can cause them to crack at the swaged end fittings. Since this is downstream of the fuel pump, a crack can result in a pressurized fuel spray and major fire hazard.
Simply press your hoses (fuel and water) to make sure they have some flexibility.
20220130_133853-X4.jpg

Didn't take a photo, but a third thing found was the positive output (red cable) of the alternator had rubbed through part of the insulation on the top corner of an engine mount. Simple enough to just bend the cable to create separation to prevent the impending short circuit.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good catch!
I noticed that some parts of our 1988 OEM fuel hoses were hardened and starting to show small cracks, back in 2008. Since I was upgrading the fuel tank to a larger one, I pulled out all of the old hoses -- deck fill, engine supply and return, and vent. Replaced Everything. In general, any boat that reaches 20 years since build-out, should have all of these replaced.
In my experience this work is easier than our wiring maintenance and upgrades, altho you do have to get acquainted with some the less accessible portions of your boat. :(

Also, wonderful opportunity to re-logic some of the old hose runs... since you are not hurried like those factory guys that were motivated to 'git r done' and be out the door by 5 on Friday. :)

Exhaust Elbows. Yup. When we bought our boat, in late '94, the original Universal elbow was actually rusted thru, invisibly under the silver paint. The engine surveyor found that by observing the painted surface and then poking a screwdriver thru it. (Seller paid for that repair.)

Thanks again!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The fuel hose should be flexible and soft, but the big hoses for coolant and exhaust should be hard as a rock.

If you can squeeze any of those high temp hoses with fingers, continue the investigation.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Sorta agree, in that the water hoses should be firm, but there's a difference between that and the rubber having a hardened surface, surface cracks, etc.

As Loren wrote, by 20 years all the old rubber should have been replaced. Design guidance for rubber materials is for 7 years life in an engine compartment with the heat and contaminates, so any time beyond that is borrowed.

btw - You never know what you'll come across while inspecting a boat.
:)
20220130_135606-XL.jpg

Stuphoto

Member III
Tin kicker,
Since you seem to be on the subject of safety here and just posted a picture of a fire extinguisher I have a couple questions.

How often do you replace your fire extinguishers or have them serviced?

In your personal opinion, is that one big enough for our boats?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just had ours recertified, and they are supposed to be retagged yearly. People let this go longer, as long as the dial stays in the green, but your insurer likes to have them be current in their servicing. I waited a couple years from the last time. So do as I say, and not as.......
:)

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
KIdde had an extensive recall of common extinguishers. Many of us here had ours replaced free, shipping included (I had five).

If extinguishers are old, worth a check.

Thanks for mentioning that.
I forgot to mention that they did replace one of my two 5 pounders for free. Good thing, as it was about the age where it would need to be "hydro tested" anyhow. I lucked out.
Numbers on board: we have two 5 # and two of the 2.5 #.

Last edited:

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
I saw one of the Kidde recalled extinguishers not long ago, so they are still on boats among us. The Coast Guard people who do boardings and safety inspections will likely write you up for having one. Your insurance company could also technically deny a claim if one was involved in a loss.

The insurance companies also insist on following standards such as set by ABYC and NFPA. The National Fire Protection Assn (NFPA) sets the National fire protection standards. They call for replaceable extinguishers to not be more than 12 years and rechargeable extinguishers inspected every 6 years.

Those dates can be very obscure and hard to find on the older extinguishers. If there seems to be no date, assume the thing is from the 1980s or earlier.