Okay, so I'm trying to figure out why my bilge pump isn't working...

Fencer21

Member II
so I get down and I got my nose in the bilge and the muck and grim (not to mention the smell) is making me gag, and for the life of me I can't seem to find the friggin float switch.

This is on an Ericson 27 by the way, even a friend of mine who owns an Ericson 32 is helping me and he can't seem to find the float switch either. We even tried following the mess of wires to see if they lead to the float switch, but that hasn't worked either.

My question is, would anyone happen to know some possible places the float switch on an E27 might be if it isn't in the usual place(s)?

I am open to any and all ideas,

Thanks, Eli

"Kassiopeia" Hull #517

Ray Rhode

Member III
Eli,

This might come as a surprise but my E-35 did not have a float switch. The owner's manual does not mention a float switch and the wiring diagram shows no such switch. I quickly add one.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

Emerald

My E-27 did not have a float switch. To get the bilge to actually pump dry, I had to put a check valve at the bottom of the line in the bilge. I picked up a check valve at the local hardware store for a fraction of what the marine places sell them for.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

also E-27 Avanti
(for sale http://home.comcast.net/~ericson-yachts )

Mindscape

Member III
Bilge pumps

Some of the bilge pumps out there, like the one of the Rule 500gph pumps don't use a float switch, but cycle on automatically to detect water, so you won't find a float switch.

I also installed check valves to keep the amount of water coming back down to a minimum.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Money saver...

Speaking from recent experience on this general topic...
If your pump seems to be running ok but not pumping, check for air leaks. Our strainer was cracked and not letting the pump get a vacuum... $175 and a new pump later, we figured it out! Now I have an extra pump, which is good-- but could have done without the bill.
Just a thought
Chris