Oil change, how many quarts?

Dferr

Member II
Does anyone know the oil capacity for the Universal 5432? I can't seem to find this info anywhere. That would be with a filter change also.

Thanks,
Don

u079721

Contributing Partner
The exact number eludes my memory, but it was close to 9 quarts. I do remember that I bought 10 quarts each fall for the annual oil change, and I think I used about 8 1/2.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Like Steve said, I think I got 3 gallons last time and used two of them and a bit of the third. A word of caution about removing the oil filter. Its mounted sideways on the starboard side of the 5432. When unscrewed it will leak a copious amount of oil all over the engine bed, etc. below it. I cut an old gallon coolant bottle down to about 2-3 inches tall and place it on the engine bed just under the filter to catch the oil. A few paper towels under the whole deal will help too. RT

hodo

Member III
oil change

According to the Manual in thespecs/docs section, the capacity of the 3542 is 11.5 qts. Put a diaper in the engine sump before you do the filter. Cheers, Harold

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Weird. I think my manual says 9 qts.

I will be out tomorrow and will look it up.

I also took the advice of someone on this board (Harold?) and use a disposable diaper to catch the oil filter and it's contents and make much less mess. The diaper insulates the hands from the hot oil and soaks up the stuff like crazy. I think I used two. The first to catch the initial flood and a second to finish unscrewing it and move it out of the area.

The problem I had trying the suggested plastic catcher is that I couldn't figure out how to extract the thing with the 1/2 qt. of used oil in it. So think it over. I have a 1980 boat with the engine under the companionway steps, which may be the reason for that problem.

hodo

Member III
Wow, Guess I would have to ask why the 2 different capacity specs, other than the pans are probably different shapes. How do you determine this without a model to see? Maybe the 11.5 is other than a sailboat? Any thoughts? I will check mine today. Harold (not my thoughts, my engine)

yknotsail

oil capacity 5432

I'm a 7 year cruiser on an '85 E-38 with a 5432. Have changed the oil 30 times.....11 quarts if you drain all the way...10.5 if not. Try putting a plastic shopping bag around the filter and housing as you unscrew it....all the oil drains into the bag and then chuck the filter in there too....no need for a diaper unless you blow it.

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
5432 Oil Capacity

I believe we are talking about 2 different pans. I think the cast pan is for the 8.5 quart system and the stamped pan is for the ~11 quart system.

Gphillips51

1988 E38-200 oil change question

I am confused by the different answers about the amount of oil needed in a Universal 5432. My owners manual says that the engine uses 8.5 Qts of oil. I put in that much and my dipstick reads low. About halfway up the dipstick. I have seen the official website for Universal, and it says 11.5 Qts. Has anybody else had this issue? I don't want to overfill this engine and cause problems. Thanks to anyone who can answer this.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
...just bringing folks together

I merged the newest Universal diesel oil capacity question with a very similar existing thread. Hope no one minds.
Loren

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
And, perhaps, which oil filter? I've seen both 299927 and 299584 referenced. I believe the 584 is a larger filter? Not quarts worth, but may figure in to the final number for a particular motor.