Oberdorfer Seal Replacement

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Hello,

I have two Oberdorfer waterpumps that I need to replace the oil & water seals as well as the graphite bearings for. (see "http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=4931" if you want to know the story)

I have the parts, but I can't figure out how to get the old bearings out, and knowing me, will probably will have problems getting the new bearings in.

Are there any special tools or techniques for this?

Thanks,
- Cory

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I use a variety of sockets and a large C clamp to press the old seals out and the new ones in. You have to be very carefull with alignment when pressing the new seals in to make sure they don't distort. Most people just buy a new pump.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Hi Cory,

If your pump is like the Oberdorfer pump on an Atomic Four, you can pry the seals out using a flathead screwdriver with the tip bent in a vise at a 90 degree angle about a third of an inch back and tapping each seal out with a hammer.

The outer seal (keeping oil in the engine) is easy to get out. The inner seal (keeping water in the pump) is trickier. The new seals have writing stamped on one side of them. They go in so the letters on the seals face each other. You press the inner seal all the way in with a vise and an appropriately-sized socket. The outer seal is installed flush with the face of the pump - do not countersink it. It is important that the seals be installed square to the shaft, or they'll leak.

Replacing the seals and the shaft is about 25% of the cost of the whole pump. There is some value in having an extra pump lying around however.

tenders