Oberdorfer Impeller Replacement

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Well, I was able to replace the impeller without taking the shaft out. Seached previous threads and it looks like some say beware of sliding out the shaft and some say it's ok. So, with a bit of cursing, good reading glasses and some more cursing, I was able to get er done. The special little pliers are a must!!!

Question: Does the cir clip ever really look like it is completely inserted in the grove all the way around the pump shaft?

Most of it appears to be inserted, but it seems like kind of a funky design. I had the same apprehension on our previous boat with the same setup. I ran the motor and double checked the clip and it seems to be fine.

P Abele

Member II
Not really - when I have done this the smap ring was only in the groove in certain parts.
One suggestion for the spare parts box is an extra one of those rings. I removed mine this fall and was surprised when it bent to the point of not being usable again. I fortunately had another one laying around but it is a simple and cheap part to have laying around to save the day if you should ever need it.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Yes, the old one must have been used for a long time. Not much spring left. I always keep 2 fresh impellers and clips on hand, just in case. The blades on the impeller I just replaced were just starting to show some fine cracks down by the base. Bought this boat in the fall of 05 and had not replaced the impeller yet. Glad I did. Learned the hard way on our previous boat, the impeller came apart while on a trip up the lake. One should inspect the impeller on a regular basis. I now do.