Not the way you want to photograph your boat

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Backing plates have been discussed on another thread buried somewhere on this site. I checked mine several years ago and observed substantial aluminum plates on my bow cleats. I know mine are solid because several years ago a towing company pulled me through a sand bar where I had run aground using a single cleat. It's amazing how much force can be exerted by a boat with two 200 hp engines using a 1 inch tow line and operated by a man with a very small brain.

BTW, when the recent collision flattened one of my gate stanchions, the tubing was bent, but the base did not pull out of the deck.

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
That's Funny.

I was towed in once (No Wind, no auxiliary) by Vessel Assist by two early 20 something's at 10 knots. These boys were also mentally challenged. Got back to my slip very fast and amazingly with out a scratch. The cleats did hold with out plates. I watched them all the way back.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
In my case, the force of the "tow" was such the deck was at about a 30 degree angle while the keel tried to work its way through the sand bank. Of course, that was after I narrrowly escaped being injured when the operator threw the tow rope to me with a large metal schakle on the end and then later came within a foot of running the boat into a steel navigation buoy.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Some friends of mine were towed once by BoatUS when their engine failed. They towed them under a bridge, but didn't wait long enough for the bridge to be raised completely, so the mast got caught at the top and caused lots of damage. The tow boat, recognizing the problem, promptly went hard into reverse, and hit my friend's boat, holing the hull--must have been a bit comical for those watching on the bridge, but was no laughing matter for my friend. :boohoo:

Does anyone have any tips/advice that might be helpful to ensure that one gets towed safely when necessary?

Frank.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
my speed tow experience

I thought long and hard about sending Vessel Assist a letter after my speed tow experience. Since no harm was done I let it go. I am not sure if the tow boat operators are educated on the hull speed limitations of sailboats. It doesn't seem like they have a understanding of mast height limitations in your friend's case.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
One problem is that they (SeaTow in my case) are franchises so the skill level is probably less uniform than it should be. In my case, I was very new to sailing a large (relatively speaking) boat and was too willing to accede to the commands of the tow boat operator. Now I think I would be much more proactive in telling him/her what to do. Of course, I haven't needed one since then.

BrianP

Member II
tow & the storm

I was towed one time and now I have chosen the small spare engine option you'll be surprised what a small 3.5hp can do and stows nice in an e-27 locker. The storm also hit niantic bay I am so glad I op for all new tackle and mooring just go by the rule that there is no such thing as over doing it. I also as Jeff stated, backed up my cleats and put a safty line on along with 2 penants. I also put an extra line over and through my cleats, through penant eyes around bow pulpit and spin stantion. I feel very lucky to only loose one vent cowel in the storm 4 others lost thier boats, sail covers,and genny. check out storm pics at www.nbyc.org

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Wow! I can't believe Ernesto did that much damage! Here in RI I guess we are relatively sheltered with Narragansett Bay and all. We are very lucky to be in an exceptionally sheltered harbor so unless its a hurricane there isn't much to worry about. Geoff, you are lucky that the damage is so slight. In an anchorage that exposed screw moorings would be a better idea. RT

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Unfortunately, screw moorings are not an option because the moorings have to be pulled every winter to make room for oyster beds. Damn those juvenile oysters!

Captron

Member III
Backing plates

I'm not sure that backing plates are a good thing on bow cleats. If there's enough force to pull a substantial washer through the deck then the same force would probably also pull the backing plate through.

It's a case of which would cause more damage. The glass up there needs to be strong enough to support the cleat loads ... one hopes the builder followed the design laminate schedules.

Just my opinion by the way ... certainly subject to change.:confused:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have heard that as well.

I have heard that as well. That's part of why I have been procrastinating the job. My cleats have proven themselves in pretty big wind and swell conditions as well as being towed at 10 knots by the mentally challenged 20 something's. I did a recent inspection of them and they show no signs of spider cracks or any other concerns.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
A backing plate will always allow more load to be absorbed simply because it will spread the load over a larger area. If the loads generated are high enough to pull the backing plate through the fiberglass chances are you have far more to worry about than the damage done from the results of the cleats pulling out!

Regarding being towed. This is very simple. Inform the driver that if your boat exceeds hull speed that you will sue, not only the company, but the driver too, for damages. RT

Sven

Seglare
Careful when watching lines under load

That's Funny.

I was towed in once (No Wind, no auxiliary) by Vessel Assist by two early 20 something's at 10 knots. These boys were also mentally challenged. Got back to my slip very fast and amazingly with out a scratch. The cleats did hold with out plates. I watched them all the way back.

Lines under load pack an amazing whallop if they part or otherwise let go and it isn't confined to a narrow line along the direction of the line.

When I was 13 or so I was going to haul my ~16' centerboard klinker oak sailboat up on shore next to our dock to try to seal the centerboard trunk. It was me, my two younger sisters, a half dozen rolling logs and a bunch of blocks and heavy rope. Long story short ... a 6-8" hook ended up halway through the cottage wall into the livingroom. It was spectacular.

Stay way clear of those towing lines !

-Sven