Nice 35 on ebay

bigtyme805

Member III
I would say the one negative on this boat is they cut the boom down pretty substantially. Didn't quite understand this, their reply was easier to single hand. I guess they never heard of reefing!

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
There are some strange inconsistencies in the advert:

I do need the money, but am planning to cruise to the keys and surrounding islands if the boat does not sell...?

Boom and mainsail have been cut down...helps the performance...?

Don't offer me an unreasonable amount... listed at $10000...?

Needs nothing to leave today on a cruise...VHF needs antenna...Never tried some of the instrumentation...cabintop hatch appears to be missing (or at least removable i.e. not properly attached) and replaced with plastic..........?

Some very serious work has been done to this boat, the boom, moving the traveller to the forward end of the cockpit, moving the pedestal to the non reinforced deck area, it also appears the chainplates have been moved inboard slightly. I would want to look very closely before agreeing it was professionally done.

'Too many scammers who think everyone is stupid.' Aye.

'If you are from another country don't waste mine our your time' makes me think of the potential ebay buyer we had on the list here a while back, who flew the Atlantic to Florida, only to be refused access to see the boat once he got there.

The bimini is very nice, mind.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

ragamuffin

Member II
Why the hell would you cut the boom and move the helm forward? So you can have a bigger Bimini and stand under it? I don't think Bruce King would approve. :egrin:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Ski boat!

BK probably didn't design it as a sloop/cutter w/ an I/O(Mercruiser?) either!:confused:

Something a little "off" about the whole thing, I wish him well on his "cruise". No buyers HERE!..LOL

www.boathistoryreport.com ?????

Last edited:

bigtyme805

Member III
I bet this boat was damaged in one of the hurricanes. A friend of mine tells me that many people have tried to patch these salvage boats and sell them on ebay.

They may look ok in the pictures but when you see them in person it's a whole new ballgame.

Buyer beware!

deneb53

Short Boom

My boom was modified at the factory and was a modifiction made by the original owners. I wondered why the boom was different but I learned to appreciate it. I sail on San Francisco Bay and the shorter boom contributes to a perfectly balanced helm even in the toughest wind conditions on the bay. I regularly see Ericsons round up in gusts even when reefed. Mine does not have this ugly hadit.

....Not sure why the helm was moved forward.

ragamuffin

Member II
Jeff, first of this is a great site and resource for Ericson owners so don't get discourage by our flippant remarks, mine in particular. I think the bashing mainly started because of everyones love for the Ericson and reading the ebay listing did seem rather strange with all the changes to the boat. On that note you may have been better off listing the boat with the description you gave us, but that's history. Glad you are keeping the boat, and sorry to about your friend. Please accept my apology, my remarks where unfounded as I was caught up in the frenzy. Sailors can be real A holes sometimes:egrin:.

P.S. what is the deal with putting a silver dollar under your mast? I have heard of it but do not know the reason for it.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Behind Every Story......

Jeff & Lea, There's usually another story "within" every short story! After hearing your whole story, inconsistencies apparent in the add are NOW very understandable(including, but not limited to, the boom issue).The poor old PO wanted to manage his boat alone!:cool:
It's unfortunate that you couldn't have bought her sooner, by-passing the 1.5 years of neglect & abuse!

Sorry about your friend, it's a cruel world sometimes. He's lucky to have friends that care! Get him some "helm" time, helps cure many an ill(especially w/ his boat gone).

With so much fraud on the Internet these days, it's too easy to jump to the wrong conclusions. Folks are becoming very leery of e-bay! Thanks for the response(took some guts), we stand corrected and better informed.:nerd:

By the way "Welcome", I loved your 1st post!:Kissy:
Don't let this little incident scare you away!

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Care in Delivery (it's not just for the boat movers...)

Uhhhhh, I just saw this thread (we're at mid-terms now...so I'm really busy); someone brought it to my attention....

My only comment is something my wife is always telling me - that while the message you deliver is important, the tone and delivery you wrap it in can alter it completely.

I think the alterations to the boat are serious issue, and not something to be taken lightly (especially when the ownership is transferring) - however, that said, I think the discussion could have been held to a higher plane - and the tendency to "pile on" avoided...

Bashing eBay (separately) is something I myself like to do (as seen in other threads), however I think that hitting the guy selling the boat before he had the opportunity to respond was bad form...

Anyhow - enough of that. I think Jeff is to be commended for saving an Ericson hull from the scrap yard, and for trying to help a friend who was in trouble. That said, I hope Jeff will continue to come to the site, and provide us with his experiences and inputs, etc.

Frankly, what I would like to see in a thread like this is something that I think most owners would find useful - and for that, I will start a new thread:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5464

//sse

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I thought I found a new home here on this site as an Ericson35 owner and be proud to be a member. I am beginning to wonder if I found the right site? I hope I still have.

Thanks, Jeff and Lea in Sunny Fla

Welcome to the list, I always like to hear from 35-2 owners, the more knowledge in the pool the better. That is a dreadful situation, and I hope your friend can make at least something of a recovery before too long. That kind of tragedy from one wrong step just seems the kind of thing that should never happen, yet could happen to anybody anyday.

As for the advert on ebay, if you had fielded it here first, we could have hammered out the details, rather than leaving the field open to speculation. The questions I raised are, I think, the same questions any discerning sailor looking to part with $30k would ask. To put it in perspective, a couple of years ago an Ericson was listed on ebay which I recognised: a few months previously I had been wading knee deep in the cabin helping the owners remove their belongings after being half submerged for a month by a hurricane.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

bigtyme805

Member III
Thanks for responding Jeff to this thread, I thought that was well thought out and an honest answer. I myself made a few comments not harsh, but enough to create speculation.

I have a good reason, I have purchased and bought hundreds of things on ebay so I know the game. When it comes to boats I have bought 2 off of ebay. My first ericson (e27) came off of ebay and listing whatever you know about the boat helps the prospective owner make a good decision and doesn't think the boat has issues. Especially since you are from Florida and the boat has some issues. The boats that sell are the owners disclosing everything about the boat that they know, even that story you wrote on the Ericson site. That would have been great story to everyone looking at the boat. Then they know the whole story, no gaps and speculation.

The first boat I bought off ebay has a sad ending. Bought from a guy that never disclosed the boat was beached and keel damaged. The day I went to pay and look at boat it was sitting in the slip at the bottom with the mast sticking out of the water. Needless to say the guy who tried to sell it to me buys these salvage boats and tries to sell them on ebay. He since has been prosecuted by ebay and now uses Craigs List as his sale ground. I was lucky only lost 500 clams.

So buyers are skeptical on ebay, they are looking for deals on boats when they are trying to buy. That is why it is so important to disclose everything.

Sorry for the initial opening thread but hope everything works out for you.

Capt Jeff

Member I
Me again,
Thanks for the warm welcomes and I see that I have indeed found a good group to be a part of. I also do understand the concerns of ebay rip offs as the boat was not described in the best terms to sell. I was rushed through the process of listing and should have waited until the next morning to list as I would have had time to list correctly. I too have purchased a few things from ebay including boats and know not to buy a boat I can't visit and inspect before bidding. I have seen alot of fraud on ebay and Craigslist and it's just sad that you can't trust anyone now days.

On a different note..... now that my boat ( "Sadie Blu") will not be sold, I am full of questions and do hope this board will be my source of helpful information. I purchased Sadie ( was "Amigo") in early July of this year and have known nothing about Ericsons before the purchase.

Anywho, thanks again for the welcoming!

Jeff and Lea in sunny Fl
sv Sadie Blu

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Jeff - there is an original owner's manual in the documents section, although the information there is fairly limited. There are a number of regular contributors who own an E35-2, so there is a wealth of information in the archives on a lot of subjects.

Also, there is very little of the E35-2 I have not had to rip apart on my boat, so any questions on what lies under/behind/within any part of the boat, I am your man.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

jkm

Member III
I can't imagine removing the cross member the steering pedestal sat on.
I would love to see the calcs.

Furthermore moving the pedestal to an unreinforced section of the cockpit (remember that the quarter berth bi secs that axis). I'm sitting here wondering how to reinforce that diaphram.

John

Jeff didn't do it, but I seriously question if anyone ran calcs on that conversion, I honestly am stumped unless a cross member where installed from the topside, thru the the quarter birth, under the deck and thru the lazzarette.

Capt Jeff

Member I
Learn something new everyday!

Jeff here,
I emailed the elder gentleman that I thought made the mods. Come to to find out he did not do the mods either as he purchased the boat in 1987 from California where it was a racing boat and a fast one at that! I will try to look up the history more, but everything HE did to it was well documented with diagrams and pics.

Anyway, he and I are setting up a meeting so he can show and tell everything he knows about the boat in person. :egrin:

Oh, and the last post about the helm crossmember. Makes me wonder also. I'll take pics of this and all parts with questions from the group... just let me know what you want to see.;)

Jeff

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
On the subject of the pedestal mounting, if the deck has not been especially reinforced, I would check the condition of the balsa in the core around the pedestal carefully. That area is notorious for rot, usually from water intrusion around the fuel fill in the deck. If there are signs of delamination, water intrusion, or rotten core, strengthening the area should be near the top on the to do list.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972