New Skylight

Michael Edwards

Member II
Just thought I would share a picture. This a Bud McIntosh concept. It works as a full time dorade vent. one night we had blowing rain @ 25kts over the bow.The shelf only had a few drops on it, none came into the salon. I want to add a stainless ridge cap. The openning has insect screen and expanded metal to keep critters out.
Michael

Attachments

• 16Dec09-2 018.jpg
    16Dec09-2 018.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 101

Michael Edwards

Member II
This is from Bud McIntosh's book. It was all that I had to go on. The front veiw shows how I can put the storm shutters in.
Michael

Attachments

• hatch-drawing.jpg
    hatch-drawing.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 16Dec09-2 020.jpg
    16Dec09-2 020.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 65

PDX

Member III
Questions

1. Dimensions?

2. Did you use the existing salon hatch cut-out, or did you have to enlarge it?

3. From the photo, looks like it might interfere with the vang. Did you have to change the vang attachment points?

4. It appears that you used stucco lath on the sides. Would metal screen window material not be strong enough?

All in all, a very interesting concept. Thank you for sharing it.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yikes

Not sure what size that mesh is, but from the looks of the picture, those bugs in the South must be huge!

Seriously, that's a nice looking hatch.
:)

One other question -- can you still use the vang tackle when sailing?

LB

Last edited:

Michael Edwards

Member II
The skylight fits the original opennig. I limitted the hieght to not interfere with the vang, or the view from the helm.There is insect screen in front of the stainless steel grill. It does look like lath. I leave this open full time. I over did it with the screws. It looks great from the inside. You can see that I used smoke acrylic lens, but the shelf is clear. The original was flat 1/2" clear that was sand blasted.
The new sliding hatch uses 1/2" acrylic also, heated an curved over a mold. My frame construction isn't satisfactory, so I'll start over on it.