new owner

Mark Whitton

Hi everyone out their. I live in Australia and have just bought a 35?. I have been told it is a 1983 model. It has a table that folds up against the bolk head. Is there anything that i might need to know,that might come as a surprise to a new owner. How can i tell how old it realy is? It currently has a baby stay disconnected is this O.K. to sail like that?

Aussie Ericson lover

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Mark,
Hello and welcome to the Ericson group!
I have had several "pen pals" in your hemisphere for a decade, off and on, via the YachtList. I guess they should be called "cyber pen pals."
:)
The Ericson 35-3 is a very good looking design. You will find information pertaining to it in the Projects section of this site and also in the Specs and Docs section. Above this message screen should be a light blue bar with some clickable words on it -- and to the right of center (centre?) is "Search."
Click on that and put it any word or term that you are curious about and you should find many message threads to look through.
If you have questions, please write in anytime.

Loren
Portland, Oregon, USA
1988 Olson 34 Fresh Air

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
If you can get any pictures of your Ericson in front of any Oz landmarks, they would make a nice change in the opening page of this web site.

There are some significant differences between the 35-2 and the 35-3, so it will be well worth your time finding out the year for sure.

Welcome to the breathren.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Congrats

Ditto the comments from my good friends in the E-gang! They have answered all of your questions except the one about the baby stay..
Assuming it is the 35-3, then the boat has fore and aft lower shrouds, which should be more than adequate for mast support. For you, the baby stay is likely there for additional mast bend control, but not mandatory.

If it were my boat, I would leave it disconnected for inshore sailing (it is a pain to tack around), but since you have it, I would use it for any true offshore work.. It will certainly help minimize pumping and the potential fatigue this can cause, and give you a tad more mainsail shape control.

Enjoy and welcome aboard!

S