new owner of a 37

ketch37

Good morning folks, I live in st pete florida and purchased a 37 ericson that will stay on Lake ontario NY. Boat is in pretty rough shape and have many questions if
any body on here has one. Thank you for allowing me to join Joel

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ahhhh, the E-37...
:egrin:
This was not a long production run model, but I consider it one of the prettiest Ericson's. (Opinions like that worth less than a penny...!)
Also, in a modern age of sailboats mean't to spend their days tied to docks and sailing on 12 knot sunny days in protected waters, this was designed/aimed at sailing fast, 24/7, in open waters. There are certainly newer designs equally capable of ocean usage, but you can restore a boat like that for about a third the cost of a new equivalent boat. We did something similar to that - sort of a "full re-fit" on our '88 boat. Worth every penny to us, but then we *would* say that! :) I have several Blog entries here about our re-fit, FWIW.

Look up to the upper right on this page, and see the little box with the magnifying glass symbol and the word Search.
Click on it. For a search parameter enter the words : "ericson 37" and use quote marks.

You should get a page of links to read, on this site. I hope you post up more specific questions as they arise. Remember that all the systems in that model are very similar to other Ericson's from the early 70's, so you will find that many threads and blogs regarding other models will have relevant information.
Keep posting and we will keep reading and replying as best we can.
Fair winds,
Loren

Edit: Just noticed this one for sale, with some great pix.

Last edited:

ketch37

Ahhhh, the E-37...
This was not a long production run model, but I consider it one of the prettiest Ericson's. (Opinions like that worth less than a penny...!)
Also, in a modern age of sailboats mean't to spend their days tied to docks and sailing on 12 knot sunny days in protected waters, this was design/aimed at sailing, 24/7, in open waters. There are certainly newer designs equally capable of ocean usage, but you can restore a boat like that for about a third the cost of a new boat. We did something similar - sort of a "full re-fit" on our '88 boat. Worth every penny to us, but then we *would* say that! :)

Look up to the upper right on this page, and see the little box with the magnifying glass symbol and the word Search.
Click on it. For a search parameter enter the words : "ericson 37" and use quote marks.

You should get a page of links to read, on this site. I hope you post up more specific questions as they arise. Remember that all the systems in that boat are very similar to other Ericson's from the early 70's, so many threads and blogs regarding other models will have relevant information.
Keep posting and we will keep reading and replying as best we can.
Fair winds,
Loren
Hey Loren, thank you for the reply. Will take a look around per your instruction. My 1st question is the water tanks and I am doing this through my brother who is puttering o around on the boat in NY. So he says there is 2 tanks port and starboard and a smaller tank mid ship between the 2 with no plumbing heading to anything?? I have may other nquestions for the next few months until I get bACK UP IN aPRIL

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard, Joel. Search and then if you can't find an existing related thread, start a new one with specific heading.

It will help if you add a Signature line, as most do, listing your boat and engine model and locality. Helps people know whether to respond. Click on Username at top of page/Signature. Your "signature" will appear automatically under each of your posts. A name helps us know who to address.

windblown

Member III
Welcome! Where will you be based on Lake Ontario? We’re on the Genesee River in Rochester. There are Ericsons scattered around the Lake; it seems like there’s at least one at each yacht club. I don’t think I’ve seen a 37 on the Lake yet.

Slick470

Member III
Welcome, I have a soft spot for the old IOR 1 Tonners. I tried for a while to find a similar Ranger 37 that wasn't a huge project before landing on our Olson 911.... yeah very different boats. Something about that tumblehome though.

ketch37

Welcome! Where will you be based on Lake Ontario? We’re on the Genesee River in Rochester. There are Ericsons scattered around the Lake; it seems like there’s at least one at each yacht club. I don’t think I’ve seen a 37 on the Lake yet.
HI, Yes we will be in Sodus point. Still working on the logistics as we live in St pete Florida and still have day jobs. Born and raised in Sodus and been down the Genesee river many times. Not sure we will make it in the water this year as the boat needs allot of love and we will give it. Joel

windblown

Member III
HI, Yes we will be in Sodus point. Still working on the logistics as we live in St pete Florida and still have day jobs. Born and raised in Sodus and been down the Genesee river many times. Not sure we will make it in the water this year as the boat needs allot of love and we will give it. Joel
We make runs to Sodus Point every summer On our way to/from points west. Welcome to the area, whenever you get here.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Ahhhh, the E-37...
...one of the prettiest Ericson's. ....[and]was designed/aimed at sailing fast, 24/7, i
+2. One of the sexiest coach-roof designs ever (JMHO), and a production-built racer.

Just for the archives, here's a copy of the results of the 1973 One Ton (class) National Championship... with an Ericson-37 on the podium.

_IN 1973 one-ton NA (ericson 37).jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One of the sexiest coach-roof designs ever (JMHO), and a production-built racer.
I wish we could all have an opportunity to drive that boat! :D

Attachments

• E-37 -- Powered Up.jpg
    E-37 -- Powered Up.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 15