New Interior Cushions

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Call me crazy (a lot of people I know do) but I decided to take a crack at making my own interior cushions for my E32-3. A great winter project and it's a good thing it's during the winter, and not during the sailing season, because I never used a sewing machine before....till now.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Nice work, and nice video, Bolo! I have the same machine and hot knife, and they are really useful. Presently, I am reworking my canvas helm cover after last year's installation of a new helm guard and instrument pod. It's been a real challenge, but gratifying. Last fall, I was able to do some repairs on my dodger, including replacing two isinglass panels that were yellowed and cracked, and I also made a canvas "frame" for a flexible solar panel on top of the dodger, following excellent instructions from the Sailrite web site. Being able to make and repair canvas items is a great addition to the many other skills we need in order to keep our boats looking and working well without breaking the bank.

IMG_3635.JPG

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Nice work, and nice video, Bolo! I have the same machine and hot knife, and they are really useful. Presently, I am reworking my canvas helm cover after last year's installation of a new helm guard and instrument pod. It's been a real challenge, but gratifying. Last fall, I was able to do some repairs on my dodger, including replacing two isinglass panels that were yellowed and cracked, and I also made a canvas "frame" for a flexible solar panel on top of the dodger, following excellent instructions from the Sailrite web site. Being able to make and repair canvas items is a great addition to the many other skills we need in order to keep our boats looking and working well without breaking the bank.

View attachment 49025
After the cushions are done I have a long list of canvas work I'd like to do. Christian Williams also has some very good canvas info on this site and it's certainly something to refer to if anyone is going to become a "canvas maker", a term which I use very lightly in my case. I'd would also love to hear what other Ericson owners spent on making their own cushions. The cost of $15,000 from the local Annapolis shop, quite frankly, I would be willing to pay if I didn't have to skill or physical ability to do the work. But then IMO if I was like that I had no business piloting a sailboat. I just couldn't justify the cost in my mind and the thought of learning another new skill that can be used with other things, not just sailboats, intrigued me. My "first mate" already has me booked for making some nice cushions for our patio furniture. :)

windblown

Member III
Looking great, Bob!
Five years ago, we had some of our cushions re-done: both cushions and the little inset for the V berth, and the "seat" and table inset cushions for the port side in the salon. It came to $3,200, including new foam, which has proven to be too firm. The turn-around from the shop was really slow (taking months, rather than the promised weeks), and the quality was only o.k., in the end. I decided to save my pennies for one of those Sailrite machines (LSZ1).
I made a new cover for the companionway and a mainsail cover the first year. Then I made a new bimini cover last winter. This year's project is a winter cover. It's a much bigger undertaking, but I'm having fun with it. I hope to finish the rest of the cushions next winter.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Boat Cushions!
Apropos of Whatever, back a couple decades ago our friends with a Valiant 40 needed new cushions, before taking off on what turned out to be a 10 year cruise. The wife was good at sewing, but it was different work than her previous clothing background and a large project to boot.
They got lucky, admittedly, and found a custom auto upholstery shop owned by a member of their church. I visited the place when some cushions were done. Great work and the guy was not put off by all of the odd angles and edges of boat cushions. To him, it was easier than doing custom cars... (!)
They said his pricing was way less than the few marine canvas shops that had quoted them.
Perhaps it might pay off to get out of the marine/yacht vendor route and start looking at car shops for new cushions. Probably will not hurt, in any case.
When we had all of our cushion covers re-stuffed with new high density foam in 1995 and two covers reshaped, the price was reasonable at a small one man shop about 40 miles out of Portland that did boat cushions, canvas, furniture, and cars. His overhead was low, and his business was all thru word-of-mouth. He's long retired now, and moved away to travel around the west with his wife, on his converted RV/Grayhound bus! :)
Hope anyone looking can find someone similar, and affordable.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Tropical Marine Canvas Is located on Alamitos Boulevard in Long Beach. Excellent, reliable, and
affordable. While working for a sailing club/company doing maintainance, I used them a few times and was always surprised at the prices and happy with their work.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Tropical Marine Canvas Is located on Alamitos Boulevard in Long Beach. Excellent, reliable, and
affordable. While working for a sailing club/company doing maintainance, I used them a few times and was always surprised at the prices and happy with their work.
Thanks for the tip!

windblown

Member III

klb67pgh

Member III
new foam, which has proven to be too firm

I found it interesting to get 5 or 6 2x2x2 foam samples in the mail and then try to extrapolate the pinch between my fingers to a rear end and a back and a shoulder.

Chschaus

"Voila"
Getting ready to do mine before Spring, been pricing material but have not yet measured how much I need. How many yards of material did you use?

ConchyDug

Member III
Sailrite will send samples of both fabric and foam if you wanna experiment. You can get discounts on material if you have an LLC. Just throwing that out there if it wasn't common knowledge.

Cutbait61

Member II
Boat Cushions!
Apropos of Whatever, back a couple decades ago our friends with a Valiant 40 needed new cushions, before taking off on what turned out to be a 10 year cruise. The wife was good at sewing, but it was different work than her previous clothing background and a large project to boot.
They got lucky, admittedly, and found a custom auto upholstery shop owned by a member of their church. I visited the place when some cushions were done. Great work and the guy was not put off by all of the odd angles and edges of boat cushions. To him, it was easier than doing custom cars... (!)
They said his pricing was way less than the few marine canvas shops that had quoted them.
Perhaps it might pay off to get out of the marine/yacht vendor route and start looking at car shops for new cushions. Probably will not hurt, in any case.
When we had all of our cushion covers re-stuffed with new high density foam in 1995 and two covers reshaped, the price was reasonable at a small one man shop about 40 miles out of Portland that did boat cushions, canvas, furniture, and cars. His overhead was low, and his business was all thru word-of-mouth. He's long retired now, and moved away to travel around the west with his wife, on his converted RV/Grayhound bus! :)
Hope anyone looking can find someone similar, and affordable.
Precisely how we got our new cushions. My wife found a guy in our area (SE Tennessee) who was retired from his furniture upholstery business and was bored and wanted something to do.He still had his shop and equipment etc. Brought him the old cushions to use as a pattern and he did a jam up job of it and the price was right.
He said he'd never made boat cushions before. Settees and V berth are 4 " foam. Backs of settees 2"..all fit perfectly and show professional craftsmanship....as for the old cushions they went to the burn pile ..they were disgusting .

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Getting ready to do mine before Spring, been pricing material but have not yet measured how much I need. How many yards of material did you use?
After I added it all up I ordered 27 yards. Now, I probably ordered on the heavy side because I figured with this being my first attempt to make cushions I'll probably have to redo a few. I already have, two small ones, and one medium size. The tricky part is laying out the seat cushions with a curved sire that runs along the hull and have an angled cut. I basically made one "backwards" because I mis-marked what side of the cushion was the top. So measure and check, not twice but three or more times, before cutting the foam or material.

Chschaus

"Voila"
After I added it all up I ordered 27 yards. Now, I probably ordered on the heavy side because I figured with this being my first attempt to make cushions I'll probably have to redo a few. I already have, two small ones, and one medium size. The tricky part is laying out the seat cushions with a curved sire that runs along the hull and have an angled cut. I basically made one "backwards" because I mis-marked what side of the cushion was the top. So measure and check, not twice but three or more times, before cutting the foam or material.
Thanks Bob, it's a learning exercise for me as well. Like the first time I installed a fence post, cut it 3 times and it was still to short! ;-)

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Wow nice work Bob! My daughter’s boyfriend is enrolled in a practical textiles course and he’s doing a lot of sewing. I know it’s not easy!

He wants to get into clothing but maybe he should focus on boat cushions - it sounds like a pretty lucrative field.