new halyard question-not a new halyard

chip50

Member II
as most of you know, we are just learning, we tried to raise our main sail,,,but cant because the main halyard is stuck between the pulley and the part they roll on.not shure of the name of that part. well, 1 question is how many halyards are supposed to be on an ericson 25.? we have 2 that i can see. one that i believe raises the jib,,,or the front sail and one to raise the main sail...i saw that loren has 4 halyards. also is there a special rope that you use for halyards? the clip that is on the end of the halyard came open when i tried to raise the sail and now its about 10 feet off the deck and i cant reach it.very discourging.. i was thinking about switching to all-rope halyards but i only want to go up ther 1 time...so do i have 2 other halyards missing because i only have 2...or do i put up 2 more... and the deal that clips onto the sail to raise it,can it be a snap hook.? sorry this is so long,,,,thanks chip n angela:esad: :confused:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
3 S's: shackle, sheave, safety

Hi Chip and Angela,

That thing that came loose off of the top of your sail is a shackle. You don't want to just use some snap hook. The shackle should be rated for the heavy loads that can be produced on your mainsail. The shackle is engineered for its purpose with a very positive fastening position and if it's releasing when you don't expect it to, it either wasn't properly fastened or may have worn out so that it won't fasten well anymore. Since you are very new to this you may want to retrieve that shackle and study it to make sure that you understand how it is supposed to be fastened. If it still won't work reliably, get some advice from a local pro on using it or replacing it.

The line for halyards and sheets is a very strong non-stretch type. You local marine shop should be able to help you with that. If you pick up a copy of the West Marine catalogue you will find some useful oveview info at the beginning of each product section.

That pulley type part that the halyard rolls on is called a sheave. If you haven't noticed already, otherwise recognizeable devices get special names once they cross the threshold of the edge of the deck. The special naming comes in handy because each of those otherwise common devices ends up in a special engineered use, such as the pulleys at the top of the mast are sheaves and the pulleys that the jib sheets go thru are sheet blocks.

As far as the number of halyards, I'm used to larger vessels so I can't talk specifically about the E25. What you typically want is at least two aft halyards for dealing with the main (one spare) and at least two forward halyads for dealing with two headsails (one for the jib, one for a spinnaker).

When it's time to climb the mast I wouldn't fixate on only doing it once. I would make a reasonable attempt to have all of the parts and tools you need to get the job done the first time. On the other hand, you may find it to be a discovery mission as many projects are on boats, so be satisfied with accomplishing at least the discovery up there and as much of your other project goals as you can that first ascent. Once on top you need to make good use of the time to study the condition of all of the hardware up there and make sure it's all in good shape.

To help you get unconfused a trip to a good book store should help you find a good reference manual for sailboats, such as Nigel Calder's boat electrical and mechanical one. I don't know the exact title but I've given enough keywords to find it. Take the time to dive into studying the different sections so that you can develop your own background and know more of those special boat words.

Before you actually climb please do a thorough search of this forum for a recent thread with mast climbing advice. Safety is a huge issue here and some of the most knowledgeable sailors here laid out some excellent guidlelines on how to proceed safely. Better yet, find someone to help who has done it before. In your case the safety end could be tricky since one halyard is already stuck and you want to have at least two on your harness for safety. If you don't already have one you'll need a real climbing harness or a bosun's chair.

Have a nice climb and good luck. I think that you will enjoy the view also.;)

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
almost there!

Hey Chip and Angela...
those are the 2 halyards you need right away. Don't worry about adding more halyards right now. they will be used for other stuff down the road. As far as replacement goes, check the condition of the wire and rope on the halyards. If you ran a bunched up paper towel along the wire part, would it tear the paper towel? Would it cut your hand to grab it? Is the rope part discolored? Or stiff? Lots of any of these or a combination would make me want to replace it. If not, no worries. To get your halyard back, try a boat hook or similar type of hook on a pole. As long as the other end of the halyard is very loose and free to run, sometimes it isn't to bad.
As Neal suggested, read the safety thread here somewhere (I'll find the link for it tomorrow if you can't find it). Don't ever trust a shackle to take you up the mast, and always use a safety line.
Next- you're shackles should look much like the images below. The first one is for the jib and the second one for the main.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes. I can't wait to see pictures of you guys sailing!
Chris

Attachments

• jib shackle.jpg
    jib shackle.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 346
  • main shackle.jpg
    main shackle.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 345

CaptnNero

Accelerant
and the Wichard

I had one of these Wichard trigger release babies once and it was really nice to work with. Pricey though.

Attachments

• Gmousalargp17-2.jpg
    Gmousalargp17-2.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 347

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
To retrieve a lost halyard, attach a piece of wire bent in a V on the other halyard on the same side of the mast as the lost end of the other halyard. I prefer a copper wire and electrical tape to attach it with; you will have to attach a chase line to the shackle on the halyard you are using to retrieve the lost halyard. Hoist the wire V and work it around to hook the shackle on the lost halyard and pull it down. If your halyard is jammed you are out of luck as the wire will bend. (Do not use a hook that will not bend as it could get tangled and then you have two halyards that are fouled.)

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Chip,

It may be better for you to drop the mast then to go aloft. I did this last week on my E27. My standing rigging had cracks so I replaced them all with nice new stainless! While the mast was down I cleaned and lubed the sheaves (lubed with Sailkote) There are only two halyards on my boat. One for the headsail and of course the main. The main has a D-shackle and the Jib a snap-shackle.

My boat was fitted with a pivoting mast hinge. It took two people with block and tackle to lower and raise the mast. It will take at least that much equipment to go aloft.

If you can't do-it-yourself, you can have the mast dropped and raised at any good boat yard. Some will make all the necessay repairs a cost.

If you do the mast yourself you will need to tune the rig (tension the shrouds and stay wires). There are great instructions on how to do this on this site!

I too am relatively new to sailing. Try to meet the active sailors in your area. They are a valuable resource of information and help. I found that boaters, in general, and sailors specificallly are great folks to be around.

Good luck!

chip50

Member II
thanks for the in fo

i will be back later tonight, have to go to work now...but thanks for all the help,,,especially the pics of the schackles...i have the cheap small one on the right side that you sent...i woulnt chance being raised up there by something that small,,,,i believe that i will have a man with a cherry picker this weekend take me upi there so i can do the repairs needed. shoud i replace the halyards with steel and rope---all rope---or all steel. i cant get to the steel part to see if its bad so i'm going in with the idea to replace the entire halyard and do it once and for all.... i will get the better schackles ,, my steel wire part has a clamp around the loop holding in on there , whoever did that had to be crazy or was out sailing when it broke and fixed it that way to get home....so i cant use a bosuns chair right now.also if i go all rope halyard of the non stretch type,,,is there a rating for tensile strength i should look for and what diameter rope should be used...3/8 1/2 5/16 etc...... i take in every thing you guys tell me and im going to fix it right the first time:) got to run,,,thanks chip n angela...:egrin: