New E25 headsail for furler recommendations

PacNM

Hi all,

I sail an E25 on lake in New Mexico. Winds are often light in the summer, but in the Spring its common to get winds in the 15-25kt range.

We have been using hank on sails but are putting on a CDI furler for the first time and will be purchasing a new headsail to go with it. I'm considering the OEM jib or a 135% genoa (likely with foam luff). The jib would be cheaper, and I'm thinking I could buy a used asymmetrical spinnaker or code zero for light wind days.

If I get the jib, another question is whether it is worth it to get the foam luff.

- Gabe

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Foam luff, yes. Really works for me.

A jib and an asymm make sense, but it would be too much work for me on my boat. An all-purpose genoa handles everything.

Of course, I used to like changing sails, which was fun and made it all kinda more interesting.....

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Our 125% Genoa works perfectly with a foam luff on our 1984 E30+ in both light wind of about 5 knots up to heavier winds to 25 knots ( we furl the Genoa to about 2/3 in that higher wind).
Frank

klb67pgh

Member III
I have a 135% genoa on a Harken MKIII furler on my E25. I sail on a lake in Western PA. I like that size for a genoa and don't see a need for a larger genoa. I put a few turns on the genoa when single handed in stronger winds to make things a bit more manageable if I am not racing. A prior owner also set the boat up with a drifter sail that is nice to have in the summer. You can sort of see the set up in this pic. I leave the drifter halyard on the pulpit. I think an asymm makes a lot of sense if you can sort out how to rig the tack. But an asymm or drifter certainly isn't necessary to move the boat in a light summer breeze.

Attachments

• 20231015_075000.jpg
    20231015_075000.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 8

Bob Robertson

Member III
Foam luff, works really well. About 10 years ago we got new sails our genoa is now a 150. I really like it. I can comfortably furl it down to nothing with little effort or if the winds are light let the full sail out and get maximum light wind sailing speed. These days I usually reduce the sail a bit when the wind is above 12 to 15 knots.