Need Info on E35-III

lbertran

Member III
Hello-
I have an opportunity to buy a 1985 E35-3 with the shoal keel. I live in Annapolis and sail on the Chesapeake Bay. I currently own a 1985 Hunter 31 which I like very much. The boat is fast and fun but gets squirrelly in big winds and is exhausting to steer under such conditions.
I'm looking for a larger, more stable, more capable boat for Bay sailing and occasional cruises outside the Bay to New England and Bermuda. While stability is a priority, I don't think I want a slow cruising boat. I like speed and maneuverability. So this has led me to look at the E35-3. I've heard that this is a good sailing boat, but I'm concerned about stability and whether it's fit for a bit of offshore work. I'd appreciate any opinions of current or former owners. Also, any tips for problems I should look for while assessing this boat would be appreciated. Thanks!

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
As a 35-2 owner, I can assure you that you will like the sailing characteristics. I have been out in heavy rollers coming off the Pacific and she handles very well. Not as fast as a Shock or other pure modern racer, but there are few 35' boats I do not go past.

There are enough differences between the 35-3 and 35-2 in construction that I will not talk about that side, but if you search the archives, there is plenty of talk about that model boat.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

sailingdeacon

Member III
Your needs are a "more stable, more capable boat". First, compared to the Hunter you have, there is no comparison. Yet the E35 is a fin keel and if you want a really stable boat in heavy seas, I question if it is possible to have a truly stable fin kee in ocean conditions. You also want a fast boat. You need to decide what ocean conditions you want to be stable in. I'd say a fat full keel boat in 40 knots is pretty fast. Is it possible to have a fast, manuverable, fun full keel in 15-20 knots? I doubt it unless you really load up the canvas.. Certainly the E35 is strong enough for blue water. But downwind in 30 knots in the ocean? probably pretty squirrely relative to a full keel, but a dream compared to the Hunter..

lbertran

Member III
Some Fin Keelers Are Also Stiff

Hi, Sailingdeacon-
Thanks for your reply. Sorry if I was confusing or unclear. There are some fun, fast, maneuverable boats that are also relatively stable. The S & S Tartan 37 comes to mind. I agree with you that you can't have everything in a single boat, but that's not really what I'm after. I'm not planning on crossing oceans, just cruising up and down the East Coast. Some fin keelers are better than others for that.
I know that Ericsons are thought to be thoroughbreds and I really like the one I saw for sale. Just trying to do my research.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"God's honest truth, It's not that simple..."(J Buffett)

To attempt to difuse any argument over one builder vs another, it seems useful to point out that there are several levels/venues of comparison.
:confused:
From a design standpoint, there is a long scale of underwater shapes, from full keel boats with attached rudders on one end to short-chord fin keels with matching skinny spade rudders on the other. Even similar-appearing boats generally identified as "fin keel" or "long keel" in any group can be "poles apart" in their performance and "feel" out in ocean waves.
:rolleyes:
Then there is the separate issue of engineering for expected useage.This gets into general ruggedness and the ability of the hull to fend off knocks and whacks from floating "stuff" (what I like to call "Thunk Resistance"). This is NOT the same as the built-in engineering of the hull and structure to withstand rigging stresses in everyday sailing.
When you buy at the most ruthlessly-cost-driven end of the boating scale, you are buying boats engineered and built for day-sailing in protected waters, including coastal day-tripping in good weather in moderate sea conditions. As you move up the cost scale, you find boats with more ability to be self-sustaining at sea for several days or longer. That's where you find Ericsons, Tartans, Sabers, and C&C's, Niagaras, etc. Further up the scale are the Cascades and Valiants, etc. etc...

As a friend of mine said after several years of (uneventful, I should add) trips up the Washingtom coast in another friend's Catalina 27 and later a 30, he just could no longer be comfortable with the constant movement and groaning of the whole boat structure all the time. :eek:
I consider the Catalina to be a notch up the "thunk" scale from the later Hunters, but, having said that, I would cheerfully sail either one with you on any nice day when the seas are under 3 feet...
:)
To me it is similar to airplanes with their individual "performance envalopes." One does not try to manuoever a Steerman like an F-18 or the other way around, but all are quite safe within their designed envalope.

I believe that the E-35-3 would be a find and safe sea boat. It has the construction from Ericson and the design from King. The rest of the preparation, as with any boat, is just maintaining systems and applying appropriate upgrades thru the years.
:D

All the best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

sailingdeacon

Member III
Loren: Wish I could have said it! Lbertran: yep, you should get an Ericson. But I still am not sure I want to go with you if you go to Bermuda - but I am wimpy. I have owned a Hunter, a Niagara, and an Ericson. I waited far too long getting the Ericson.

Steve

Member III
Pics say a thousand words

What can you say that these pics don't! .... It doesn't get any better then this. :D
Steve e35-3 #156 :egrin:

Attachments

• DCP_2408.JPG
    DCP_2408.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 208
  • DCP_2403.JPG
    DCP_2403.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 206
  • DCP_2508.JPG
    DCP_2508.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 198

lbertran

Member III
Awesome Boat, Steve

What great pictures! You have a beautiful boat. I want to thank everybody for the feedback. I made a deposit on the E35-3 yesterday. Our survey is on Friday. If all goes well, I'll be a happy E35 owner soon!
Laura

sailingdeacon

Member III
Cruise or race!

I'll see that and raise you two!

Attachments

• WolftrapArchangel.jpg
    WolftrapArchangel.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 179
  • race end.jpg
    race end.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 177

Ray Rhode

Member III
Steve,

Love the dark hull. They should start painting Journey on Saturday and I wish I could go with my heart and do it in either dark blue or green but here on the Gulf Coast the heat load is a real killer.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E-35-III, #189