Need Help Finding Thru Hull Fitting

tonysantos

Hello Everyone,

I am replacing the thru hulls on my 1978 E-27 and can not find a Bronze Flush 1/2" fitting with the wide flange (2 7/16"). I know many of you have done this so if you have the answer I will be greatful. I am nearing the end of a long refit and with any luck will get to enjoy the Fall sailing season on the Chesapeake Bay.

Glyn Judson

Through hull fittings.

Tony, You might want to consider upping the size of that through hull fitting to 3/4" because I hope you're also replacing the valves at the same time. I also hope that you're replacing all old gate or ball valves with proper seacock valves. That said, there are no seacocks that I know of made smaller than 3/4" which would sort of solve the problem of finding a 1/2" fitting if it were my boat. You can make new pads of 3/4" or 1" plywood saturated in a good epoxy like West System 105. To clear up any confusion you migh have over the definition of seacock vs a ball valve, the majority of seacocks are ball valves but have a straight thread on the flanged bottom and a tapered pipe fitting on the top designed to allow full seating of the flange end onto the pad by threading all the way down the through hull fitting's straight threads. Note: You might have to cut some of the threads from the through hull fitting to prevent it from bottoming out on the underside of the ball assembly in the seacock. You see, the much cheaper ball valves have tapered threads on both ends and when threaded onto the straight threads of the through hull fitting, will typically only grab 1 1/2 to 2 threads before cross threading, a very serious potential for failure from even a slight side blow. What can happen you say? The valve can snap off the threads very easily and allow a full flow of sea water to enter the boat. The remaining threads in the valve when removed could be likened to a large diameter finger ring, all that saves you from a great day on the water and the possibility of loss of property or lives. So the bottom line should be to get a 3/4" through hull fitting and matching seacock. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

tonysantos

Thanks for the info guys. Gate valves have been long gone! and ball valves are history too! I have all new sea cocks to install after I finish barrier coating. I also have a 3/4" sea cock, which I thought was the correct size for the head intake that was installed, but as you know the old size was 1/2". I will now replace it with 3/4".

stuartm80127

Member II
Replacing the gate valves.

Hello Everyone,

I am replacing the thru hulls on my 1978 E-27 and can not find a Bronze Flush 1/2" fitting with the wide flange (2 7/16"). I know many of you have done this so if you have the answer I will be greatful. I am nearing the end of a long refit and with any luck will get to enjoy the Fall sailing season on the Chesapeake Bay.

Perhaps you have already done the replacement. Groco FTH-series thru-hull is what you want for a direct replacement. Otherwise, you are looking at doing some work.

On my E27 I replaced all three discolored(pink) aft thru-hulls. I had the voids in the hull filled using a 12:1 v-shaped cut-out ratio and the glass vacuum bagged on application with 24 layers of bi-axial cloth. I then added four layers of roving and then three more layers of 10oz cloth to the inside. At this poing I had essentially a new hull. I then installed new Groco low-TH-W thru-hulls and Groco FVB Seacocks on all three for another 30 years of service :). The old water intake was 1/2. I increased size to 3/4" adding a Groco Strainer and distribution for engine and raw sink/water maker... You can download excellent Groco tech specs from http://www.groco.net.

I purchased all fittings through Defender Marine as they can custom order all sizes for you and still give you a good discount. You get much more strength with a TH-W thru-hull then with a FTH-W thru-hull because the former leaves more glass and offers a better seating area.

marcusn

Member II
1/2" thru hull for E27

I had the same trouble with my 1975 e27.
I did end up finding one in Marelon from Forespar (if I remember correctly).
I also ended up enlarging one of the 1/2" thru hulls to a 3/4" (raw water intake).

-mn