name change on transom

steven

Sustaining Member
finally far enough through my restoration/upgrade list to get around to changing the name on the transom. Problem is I have a dark blue hull - probably Awlgrip or (more likely) Imron. Beautiful paint job I do not want to mess with - but I have a hunch that when I pull off the exiting vinyl letters there is going to be a shadow due to uneven weathering. Does anyone know if that is likely and if so, can it be buffed out. Or will it fade away over a couple of seasons. Or will I need to repaint the whole transom (not something I look forward to).

Emerald

You don't want to buff or compound Awlgrip. Here are some tips from the maker:

http://www.awlgrip.com/awlgrip_pages/application_guide_info.htm#18

Emerald has Awlgrip, and I used a hair dryer to loosen up the name of the port when I changed it. At first I could tell, but after a little time and using the Awlcare, it's become a non-issue. I highly recommend the Awlwash and Awlcare for maintenance. They have been easy to use and have kept the hull looking great. Makes you actually think the manufacturer knows best.... :egrin:

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
If it is Imron, you can polish it. Mine had a shadow that I buffed but did little good. After installing the new vinyl, it quickly faded to almost nil. .

Awlgrip has a protective clear coat that floats to the surface while curing. If you buff through that, the paint is left exposed. With Imron, the color is on the top surface and the paint is so durable it protects itself without the clear. The advantage is that you can buff the edges of deep scratches and virtually make them disappear. Here is a photo after buffing/polishing/waxing a 10 year old Imron paint job.

BTW, I think the new Awlgrip formula is similar to Imron that it can be buffed.

Attachments

• polish1.jpg
    polish1.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 82

steven

Sustaining Member
David, Tim,

thanks. I think I'm going to try pulling off the current vinyl (using hair dryer as David suggests); then let it sit without anything for a couple of months. I really don't know if it's Awlgrip or Imron. Thinking I'll try to find a scratch in an obscure area and see if it will buff it out.

Emerald

When you do the buff test, I think what you'll find if it is Awlgrip is that it looks shiny after the buffing, but doesn't hold the shine over time.

Be curious as to what you find out.