My E29

iwantone

Member II
Anybody have any opinions on the best harbors in San Diego. I'm currently in Mission bay but was thinking about moving....

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 156

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well since no San Diego folks have chimed in with a recommendation yet I will share my limited experience about a SD Marina. I was at the California Yacht Marina in Chula Vista for about a month. They are owned by the same outfit I am with in San Pedro. It was a very well maintained clean marina with restaurants, shops and a West Marine close by. The only draw back is that they are located all the way at the bottom of San Diego Bay, so it's a long way to the open Ocean.

The good news is that if you like to cruise, all California Yacht Marina's have reciprocal privileges at their other marinas in San Pedro, Wilmington and King Harbor (Redondo Beach). So in other words, if you make arrangements in advance, you can get a free slip for the night (or nights?) at the other locations.

Pretty E-29 btw. Welcome! :egrin:

http://www.cymchulavista.com

Sven

Seglare
We were in Driscoll Marina, Mission Bay, for about 7-8 months.

It is actually a marina attached to a working boat yard. It was great to get to know George who ran the travelift because we could replace zincs, change the prop and do other underwater tasks with just a few days notice and on weekends George would only charge a nominal fee.

The facilities are spartan and less clean than one would like but for us it was a great place while we waited for a place up in the LA Harbor area. Other than the diesel mechanics the folks were great t work with too, very nice and competent.

-Sven

iwantone

Member II
Thanks for the input guys. I am a pretty new sailor and the E29 is a little intimidating for me. I was thinking about going down to something smaller like a E26 so I could fit under the mission bay bridge where the docking fees are cheaper and I could sail in protected waters (my brother hates sailing in the open ocean). I would consider a trade down for something a little smaller, but it would likely have to be an Ericson.

chtaylor

Member II
We are in Calif. Yacht Marina in Chula and I second Jeff's opinion. It's probably one of the least expensive options in the San Diego area.

Charles Taylor

iwantone

Member II
I'm going to check out the marina this week in Chula Vista. I'll let you guys know how it goes. It's nice to see such a great response from this forum.
Thanks again

chtaylor

Member II
While you're in the area, you may also want to check out the relatively new Pier 32 Marina in National City. They have the advantage of being closer to the main part of San Diego Bay and the ocean and are priced about the same as California Yacht Marina.

I considered moving our boat there but their slips are either too short or too long (more expensive) for our E-32. Your E-29 would probably be OK.

Charles

iwantone

Member II
Thanks for the suggestion Charles. I kind of like the idea of being away from where all the crowds are. I will be down on Sunday to check out the chula vista marina as well as the chula vista yacht club. Have you heard anything about CV marina. They are both around the same price.

chtaylor

Member II
As you probably already know, CYM (California Yacht Marina) and CVM (Chula Vista Marina) are both in Chula Vista Harbor. When I was looking for a slip, I found CYM to be a bit cheaper and could see no reason to prefer CVM over CYM. I haven't compared their rates lately. Maybe with the last two increases, CYM has caught up to CVM.

With its proximity to the Galley restaurant, CVM can get a bit noisy on the nights when the Galley has live entertainment.

Additionally, with CYM you get to join the yacht club at no cost. The yacht club dues are subtracted from the slip rent.

Also, as Jeff pointed out, you get reciprocity with other CYM marinas and other yacht clubs.

I know that this may sound like an ad for CYM, but I have absolutely nothing to gain should you choose one over the other.

Charles

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Actually you might have something to gain.

At CYM Cabrillo I got a notice with my bill last month that stated if I referred anyone to one of their available 30' slips and they stay for at least 3 months they would give me $50. bucks. Not sure if that's true for CYM Chula Vista.
:egrin:

chtaylor

Member II
Shhhh. You're blowing my cover!

Actually, I'm usually so pissed off when I open my CYM bill that I throw all of the inserts away without reading them.

I also have the usual disclaimers: " I am guilty of no wrongdoing" - Richard Nixon; "I was out of the loop" - George H.W Bush; "I have no recollection" - Ronald Reagan. I suppose " I did not have sex with that woman" - William J. Clinton does not apply, but I'll put it in there just in case.:devil:

Charles

iwantone

Member II
Well, I checked out all three marinas....

I will end up going with CV yacht marina.
CV yacht marina was very nice. All the boat owners there seemed to like the place a lot and they have a security guard who makes rounds. They are running a deal where you can belong to the yacht club and the dues are deducted from your dock fees, but I doubt I would be active.
THEY MAKE YOU GET A BOAT SURVEY! I'm not happy about having to pay for this. Anybody know of someone who will do a survey for as cheap as possible??

Thanks...

chtaylor

Member II
I assume that by "CV yacht marina" you mean California Yacht Marina. I believe that many marinas require a survey of new boats applying for a slip. I guess it keeps out the POS, neglected boats that bring a marina down.

CYM has a list of area surveyors. I would call around to find the cheapest since it is not a pre-purchase survey.

I, too, am not active in the yacht club. But, since it is free and they have a cheap happy hour, I may as well be a member.

Welcome to the hood,

Charles

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
http://www.cymchulavista.com

Application Procedures
1. A copy of the current registration/documentation or copy of bill of sale must be in the name of the person applying for the slip.
2. Insurance policy naming Marina as additional insured and showing $300,000 liability coverage.
3. A current color photograph of vessel.
4. Credit report will be required and will be run on the applicant.
5. Vessels older than 20 years must provide a copy of survey conducted within the last 24 months.

http://www.cymchulavista.com/berth_info.asp

ozzie12

Member I
Move to a different Marina?

I too was thinking of moving my E29 to Chula Vista marina. In fact, every month when I write that $420 check, I think about it. I got a price of
$360 from Pier 32 but this did not include water or electricity which would be extra charges. Assuming a $10 fee for each of these, put the Pier 32 price at $380. A $40 savings . . . $480 in a year. Just about the cost of the survey. So moving south was not economically a good move. Where I am at on Harbor Island at Marina Cortez may be one of the most expensive, but it includes water and electricity, and I can fly into San Diego and walk to the boat.
The closeness of the San Diego Bay for sailing is also a good reason for staying put.
What are the reasons you want to move from Mission Bay?

PS - I wouldn't downsize from my E29. In fact. I wish I had a 32 or even a 35 for the added interior cabin room. My E29 is so easy to handle.

Last edited:

iwantone

Member II
Hey Ozzie,
I"m no longer considering moving to a 26. I was thinking about it mainly because I could go under the bridge at mission bay. I like to go out on the water with my brother but he hates going out in the ocean and the bay is too small in mission bay.
I am leaning towards chula vista because it is appears to be very quiet. The Energy plant there is shutting down so no worries about noise or pollution. The bay is also pretty big so I don't have to tack every 200 yards.

Is it noisey being so close to the airport?

ozzie12

Member I
Airport

From around 9:00 pm until 6:30 am, there are no flights and it is very quiet. Also, the planes land and take off parrallel to Harbor island, they do not fly directly overhead, so they are not real noisy. The 6:30 flights are like an alarm clock, but we've had no problem sleeping in till 8am or later.

Do my costs coincide with what you found for the Chula Vista marina? Did you get a price on a survey?

iwantone

Member II
I will NOT be moving my boat to the CY marina.
The big power plant is closed-->no emissions is good
However, they will be dismanteling the plant and who the hell knows what kindof crap will be stirred up.
I'm going to look around harbor island and near the airport this weekend.