Missing medium needle bearing - Barient 28

DrZiplock

Member II
Heya, folks

While Respira is covered up in the paint shed for her upcoming facelift and with the snow falling outside I took the chance to pull my primaries and take a look at their condition. Considering that they're the originals and I have no idea how often the previous owners serviced them...overall not bad! You can see the pulled apart view before I soaked and scrubbed everything with paint thinner to de-gunk 'em prior to greasing, oiling the pawls, and reassembling them.

All was well with the first and it turns super smooth now that it's back together. However, when I disassembled the second I discovered that I am one medium needle bearing short. There should be four, but I'm coming up with three (and since this isn't school house rock or the chance to lob a holy hand grenade...three is right out).

Anyone know of a replacement source so that I can make it whole again? Hell...anyone have an old Barient 28 that they're parting out?

Attachments

• PXL_20220122_210510992.jpg
    PXL_20220122_210510992.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20220122_165721003.jpg
    PXL_20220122_165721003.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20220122_210527000.jpg
    PXL_20220122_210527000.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 9

Pete the Cat

Member III
What Christian said, but--as you know--Barient is out of business. Some very old and experienced machinists might be able to help out with ordering---particularly if you have a sample of what you want. There are catalogue of these things among some old guys who know how to order and get them. Good luck. I rebuild my Windlass a few years back and my friend, the machinist, was the real hero of the effort just for ordering some key bearings that were no longer available from the manufacturer.

DrZiplock

Member II
(Australia)

Also, bearings are fairly standardized and you can probably find what you need on line. I recall that Tom Metzger replaced his winch bearings with standard products.

Ah, the Australian savior of all things Barient. I should have known! Appreciate the link and you're very likely right about the online order.

Nothing says fun like being halfway through a project and having to stop because at one point in history a piece of necessary hardware thought it would be a good idea to go for a swim.

Thanks, gents!