Mast rake

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
I have a question which may appear to be abysmally stupid to many of you but I have loads of excuses. While sitting and enjoying a beverage on the club porch, I could look down the row of masts on my dock. My mast was the most vertical. When we hurriedly stepped the mast on the trip home from New Jersey, the turnbuckle inside the furler was not extended.

My stupid question is does the forestay/backstay tension affect rake? This is my first keel stepped mast so I thought the alignment of the step and partners would determine rake. There is a fairly dense ring which holds the mast at the partners. I do have a bit a weatherhelm but certainly not the quarterturn of the wheel others talk about.

Next spring, when I step again, how do I adjust rake? Does the backstay do more than adjust bend? I plan to get an adjuster over the winter to play with bend.

Steve Murray
E35 III 222
Charlottetown PEI

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Perfect. Thanks Chris. Pretty clear explanations. I should use the search function more often. I can understand Seth's point about tuning for either racing or cruising. We are having a lot of fun with the new boat - racing white sail and short cruises. It's a lot more enjoyable in the first third of the fleet rather than battling to avoid being last.