Mast Partners

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Found that my mast is moving fore and aft at the partners in the deck.

There was a rubber/Hard plastic ring on the mast when the boat was delivered from the P/O....I pushed it down into the deck once the mast was stepped......seemed to be fine.....but now I notice that the boot is moving back and forth, and I am getting a "Creaking" in the rigging on the wind in 12 to 14 knots in relativly smooth water.

I have used "Mast Partners"......"Mast Tuning"......"Mast Setup" in the search....both by thread and post to no avail.....

I have called a local rigger and hopefully he will be out before the week is out, as I have a race on Sunday 5/20.....

BTW.....so far 1st two races of the season a third and fourth out of 13 boats......with a mast that is not right....

Geriatric crew in place.....we keep on going.....we have a new "Cabin Boy"....he is only 64......

Any information anyone has to help me keep the local rigger honest will be apprecaited......

:egrin::)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In 1988, Ericson used four teak wedges, shaped to the curvature of the Kenyon spar. It looked like it needed more uniform support, so I made a batch of new teak wedges, about an inch or less in length and replaced the originals right after we bought the boat in '94.
There was a molded vinyl "boot" that covered all this stuff and kept water out (mostly, but not completely, per the faint water stains near the mast on the inside headliner).
That nice molded boot has split, and I cannot find a source for another...
Oh well, you would have to pull the spar to slide a new one on, anyway.

Have you looked at the wedges that are there now? One of them may have crushed or fallen out into the headliner area.

:confused:

Loren

Ericsean

Member III
Mast Pumping

Hey Mort, I just re sealed my mast at the partners.

On my E-38, the manual says to pull the mast to the front of the partners. I used a heavy snatch block attached to bow cleats, with a line led back to a winch.

Then I blocked it with a piece of 1/4" thick rubber that I got from Mcmaster.
High-strength Weather-resistant Epdm Rubber, 1/4" Thk, 80a Durometer.
The smallest piece they sell is 36" long, & I only needed about 4".

To seal it i used Flexible Urethane Casting Compound, 1 Pound Putty, Shore A 85 duromete, that I also got from Mcmaster-Carr. (Great internet service, I got my package in two days). One kit makes 25 sq. in. & that was enough material.) Next time I think I'll try the 60 durometer urethane, the 85 is very firm & I'm sure I'll have a tough time getting the mast out. I;m pretty sure this is the same stuff that West Marine sells for about $150. I paid 30 for the urethane & 13 for the rubber.

I'm very happy with the results. The PO had just filled the whole area with black silicon.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
New Mast Partner Info

OK: did an early AM check of this thread and, at the same time the local rigger called, but could not make it until late afternoon I put off the meeting until tomorrow AM....

When I got to the boat I took off the boot......the wood trim plate under the coachroof, the fitting that the vang attaches to (a must to get the the boot off), and found that the hard rubber piece formed perfectly to the partner opening that was on the mast when the boat was delivered to me, and that I pushed into the partners when the mast was stepped was now just floating around......it had crawled out of its hole...thus the mast was just rolling around in the opening......

SO!.....was this SOP for Ericson on the 87 35-3?

there are several options that I can think of to hold this piece in place.....but is there a one best way.......I have thought about stainless plates held down with stainless angle irons screwed into the mast......to the outer ring of the partners.......or teak done the same way.....any thoughts here?????

There was a hard plastic boot that was in the boat when I got it that was cut in the rear of it, and looked like it was siliconed onto the mast......I decided to get the universal from WM and I put it on with large (VERY LARGE) hose type clamps.....it has worked admirably......and, in taking it off...I think I could still re-use it....

One fine day I will remember to take my camera....and learn how to post photos to these threads.....will save many words.....

Thanks for the prior response....and looking for a comeback here...

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Spartite & Screws

We have spartite on our boat. They suggest that you run a screw or two through it (through the mast collar would work) to keep it from popping free. We never bothered, but it sounds like something similar might keep your wedges in place. It would be interesting to see a pic of what Ericson originally used.

Chris A.

Member III
I had the same problem

I had the exact problem that you describe. I just used the hose clamp that was (also as you describe) holding the plastic boot in place and put it directly around the mast just above the wedge to keep the wedge from moving up. I tape the boot in place instead of using the hose clamp.

We were sailing at night in fairly vigorous conditions when we discovered the mast moving around in the partners- it was a little bit alarming but no damage done.

Cheers,

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Problem Solved

I HOPE!!!!!!

The local rigger arrived early this AM.....said that the procedure was very simple......Put waterproof (Lewmar Winch) grease on the lower part of the wedge....push it into place and put a large bead of CAULK on the wedge and mast, and when set up the wedge will not move up the mast......the grease will allow the mast to be pulled up if needed, and the amout of water that will run into the boat will be minimal if at all.....

Sounds good to me......it has been done.....time will tell....

Thanks for all of the feedback.....
:egrin:

Last edited:

hodo

Member III
What is the cause of the partners moving? Is the coach roof flexing? Do you have the cable that attaches to the taberncle and to the base of the mast like the 38? Also the rig adj. from the factory says to have the mast to the forward edge of the hole before doing all the back and fore stay adjustments. Don't know if your rig is the same though. Good Luck,
Harold.