mast is going bzzzzzzz........

timoteo

Member II
have a E 29 , deckstepped mast and when the wind starts to blow , my mast starts to vibrate ( yes like a female playtoy), now could this be because of my rigging isn't tuned correctly or do have probs with whole of my mast?
what's the right tension anyway
thanx
tim:confused: :esad:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
...just humming along....

"Harmonics", is the word of the day!
:(
A much-discussed anoyance with stayed rigs on all kinds of boats. The rod rigging on our Niagara 26 had this problem... and for some reason C&C owners deal with it a lot.
It is less-mentioned on Ericsons, for some reason.

I suspect that the shape of the spar has something to do with it, as well.

Have you tried tensioning or slacking the backstay to see if that helps? Maybe leading the spar halyards around the outer shrouds and tensioning them? Maybe bring the pole lift around the shroud and clip it to the spinnaker eye and take that up hard...

We have it on our present boat, but rarely. Wind speed seems important, but it can be equally bothersome under 10 kts or over 20...

Wish I could give you a quick answer. You just need to experiment with anything that changes the tension on various wires or changes the "tuneable" length of the spar.

Best,
Loren

Sven

Seglare
Dampeners

You could try pulling bungie cords or other tiedowns around the mast to the stays. Loren is definitely right that your mast or a stay or two are being strummed by the wind, like a violin string by the bow, or the Tacoma Narrows bridge by the wind.

Just wrapping the halyards around the mast and stay may do it and I'd guess it is a stay that is making the racket ?

You want to dampen the motion or change the wavelength or add mass, anything to disrupt the harmonics.

-Sven

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I know exactly what you are talking about, very annoying when trying to sleep, and never does it when you would like it to.
Wrapping rope around the mast below the lower spreaders to disrupt the airflow has had the greatest effect on it of the things I have tried, adjusting rigging tension had surprisingly little effect.
If you find anything better, let me know.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972