Mast Boot

landh5

Bought my 1988 32-200 late last year. The mast boot is leaking and has leaked for a while. Shame I didn;t press to get it done before I bought but price was good. I am considering replacing it with one of the Universal Mast Boot kits which can be installed without pulling mast. Saw one threat here with a positive statement about the product. ANYONE HAVE MORE EXPERIENCE ? I have also attached pic of current boot showing the previous owner love of silicone. Would I be correct that the stainless plate in pic also forms the LIP of the collar?

Thanks for any opinions !

Harry:confused:

Pic didn;t attach it was too large ... sorry

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Opinions? Yup. We got those.
:)

Change the rez on your picture to something under 600 by 600, and it should post just fine.

I would guess that you have a Kenyon spar just like my '88. The bad news is that those molded vinyl boots have not been available for a decade. When mine (patched with sealant...) goes out, the aftermarket one you mentioned looks like Plan B.

I have asked some ocean racers what they do, and they say to wrap it with self-amalgamating tape and put enough on to be ugly and water proof. Then cover the whole thing with a little custom Sunbrella cover to keep the UV off.

Best,
Loren

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I used a piece of inner tube clamped around the mast and base collar and then covered it with a sunbrella boot. You put the inner tube about 4 inches up from the collar, attach a clamp around the bottom of the inner tube. You then fold it down over the clamp and clamp the other edge around the base. This both hides and protects the upper clamp. I also add a little caulk around the top lip in case water gets through the sunbrella boot.

landh5

Thx

Thx for the feedback. Given a 3 inch split in the current 18 yo boot, anythng would be better at this point!

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
The inner tube/SS hose clamp has been working for me - no leaks - now about those port lights.... :rolleyes:

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
What Loren recommended worked well for me. There is a mast boot tape made which I used and then covered with a sunbrella cover which I made. It has worked for years with no leaks.Defender has this tape on Pg. 239 of their new catalog. Hope this helps. Dan Callen Ericso 32-3 Andaimo

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Just removed 6 of my opening portlights and hope to have the new ones inalled this weekend.