Mast Boot

joerun26

Member II
Looking for a replacement mast boot for my "87" 35-III. I searched the site and didn't see any threads directly addressing replacements. I contacted Pacific Seacraft and they suggested I post the question here.. Would also appreciate any advice (do's & don'ts) that you don't mind passing on to a rookie.. I live in Richmond Virginia - boat's in Deltaville Va.
Thanks,
joe

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have an '88 model with a split boot. I have it glued together, sorta kinda.

Problem is that the boots were a custom vinyl part from Kenyon and the remaining Kenyon parts supplier, Rig Rite, had none to sell when I called them several years ago. I have some spare white covers for the spreader tips, and feel lucky to have them, albeit not cheaply.

Since the original one-piece item can only be slid on the spar when it is out of the boat, it would sure be nice to find a "just like factory" replacement. I am not holding my breath, however.

Keep us posted,

Loren
Olson 34 #8

Last edited:

Ray Rhode

Member III
Joe,

Just recieved a replacement boot for my 84 E-35 from Rig Rite. Also ordered the mast wedge. The boot is part number K-11633B and the wedge was K-77509-22 where the 22 is the length. The boot was $79 and the wedge was $69. Check out thier web site to verify the part for your mast but don't try to order on line. Just give them a call.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

Ray Rhode

Member III
Joe,

Just got out to the boat today and checked the mast boot I told you about. It appears that the part number boot I listed will not work on Journey. The mast section fits OK but the bottom is too small to fit the deck collar. Didn't have a chance to talk to Rig Rite about it as I lost my cell phone overboard at about the same time. Not a good day. Checked their web site and they do not seem to have another boot. Will let you know if I hear anything. The collar end of the boot is 9 1/4 by 6 1/2.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

joerun26

Member II
Thanks Ray -

Sorry to hear about the cell (they need to make a model that floats).. I'll take measurements next time I'm at the boat and let you know. Weather this weekend in Virginia changed my plans.

joe

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Mast boots

Back in the day we did the following:

Take some neoprene rubber (wet suit material), and cut a piece to fit around the mast and high enough (maybe 24"?).

Wrap it around the mast inside out slightly above were it will end up, and using rubber cement join the halves together.

Using a large hose clamp (or 2 together), clamp the bottom of the new "boot" (still inside out) with the rest of it facing UP. Then when the clamp is tight (use silicone liberally), fold the neoprene down around the clamp so that it is now under the rubber and not exposed. This is now the top of the boot.

Be sure to keep the seam facing AFT.

Pull the boot down around the base of the collar and clamp.

Done correectly, this is a neat and effective boot!

Good times!

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Whats wrong with the mast seals you cast your self? I forget how they work but I believe you somehow poured a liquid into the space and once it cured you had a seal which could be re-used if you removed the mast. I think it was called spar-tight or something like that. See the address below. I have heard good things about this stuff, but never used it myself.

www.budgetmarine.com/pdf/049.pdf

valentor

Member II
Spartite is not intended to be a water seal. It is intended to be a custom chock to ensure that your mast is always inthe same place. It is an excellent product for this - although it is a bit expensive. Even with it in place, you need to have some type of boot like the one Seth describes.

Another good alternative is a piece of thick leather, or a piece of thick truck-tire inner tube. Either can be installed the way Seth suggests with two BIG hose clamps. Either will provide a very watertight seal.

If you can install it before you step your mast, you can even make it one piece with no seam.

Steve