Marina ice coverage

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
the two scuppers closest to the center line of the boat are plumbed together with hose and then run, as a single hose, to a sea cock under the galley sink
This was the same configuration in my 30+. When I first got the boat I couldn’t close the seacock and trying to move the lever induced a steady drip that couldn’t be stopped. The boat was 6 hours from me and I spent several stressful weeks imagining the drip turning into a torrent before it could be moved closer. Luckily the leak remained constant and I decided then to separate the scuppers and the sink drain. I am very happy I did that and I never have to leave any seacocks open now.

I’m still worried that a hose may have split somewhere so I will be checking carefully when I have more time and daylight. I am also scheming to install an adaptor to allow easy engine winterization. https://www.groco.net/products/valves-seacocks/accessories/ssc-series-service-adaptor

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Anyone who owns (or owned) a E32-3 will know that the two scuppers closest to the center line of the boat are plumbed together with hose and then run, as a single hose, to a sea cock under the galley sink.
Yep, that center scupper drain is a winter liability. I do something similar to what you do: Remove the scupper grates, cover one of the scuppers, blow air into the other scupper while the seacock is open (to blow the water out through the thru-hull), then close the scupper. Fill the blown-out line with anti-freeze, then put rubber stoppers in the scupper holes.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I am also scheming to install an adaptor to allow easy engine winterization. https://www.groco.net/products/valves-seacocks/accessories/ssc-series-service-adaptor
Doug,

I added one of those valves when I put a strainer on my raw-water intake. I winterize with it every year. While it's a big improvement over no valve, it has some problems: That little plug starts to get stuck in the body after a few years. I had to grind mine down with a file, and still have to use pliers to remove it. And, because the hose fitting that takes its place only screws in 1/4 turn, sometimes it comes loose when you attach a hose to it and try to work the hose into an anti-freeze jug.

20170920_110204.2.jpg

My recommendation would be to just install a Tee-valve instead. In fact, I bought one of these from Amazon, and just haven't installed it yet. About 1/5 the price of the Groco valve: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07413ZLCG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
valve.jpg

Added: Note that any type of valve installed above the thru-hull still traps raw (freezable) water in the hose between the thru-hull and the valve. The fix for this is to blow through your access valve with the thru-hull open, to purge it of water. Then fill the line with antifreeze before/after running anti-freeze through the raw-water circuit.

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
My recommendation would be to just install a Tee-valve instead
Ok I like this approach. Question, would the three way valve allow full flow? Seems like the flow might be restricted a bit. I suppose a standard T fitting with the ball valve on the 90 would work just as well and maintain full flow. With a plug on the end just in case! Thanks for sharing your experience with the Groco valve.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Question, would the three way valve allow full flow? Seems like the flow might be restricted a bit.
I think since the valve is labeled as "full flow," as this one is, the interior opening is not restricted. Check out the dimensions page (3rd photo) on the Amazon link. Also, if worried about brass and dissimilar metals issues, just use brass hose barbs with the T-fitting and isolate all the brass with a short hose segment before the next bronze fitting in your system.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
If installing a Tee-valve, note that there's no "straight-through" plumbing option like on the Groco valve. The common port is the side port, so the Tee-valve would likely need to be installed horizontally rather than vertically.

valve.jpg

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yeah I was worried about that. I think I will just go with regular tee oriented for straight through flow so as not to introduce too many restrictions or potential snags in front of the sea strainer. I’ll put the ball valve on the 90. I’m thinking I could use a quick connect hose fitting on the other side of the ball valve to easily connect a pre-made bilge dewatering hose or antifreeze supply hose.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Yeah, right, a regular tee and a ball valve work fine because the raw water side already has its own shutoff.

Still, I'm considering installing the 2-way valve, since I already bought it. Something like this:
39692-89faf4a6e6eaae15b3ad4dd00e3dfad0~3.jpg

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yeah, right, a regular tee and a ball valve work fine because the raw water side already has its own shutoff.

Still, I'm considering installing the 2-way valve, since I already bought it. Something like this:
View attachment 49079
Oh, you are plumbing it directly to the strainer. I hadn't though of that but it makes sense. Still, I think I will put it right on the seacock. My strainer is in a location where the shutoff valve would partially block access to the front of the engine.