manual bilge pump on e27

marcusn

Member II
On my 1975 E27, there is a manual bilge pump built into the starboard berth.
What puzzles me is that it pumps the water to a thru-hull that is below the water line.

Seems really odd doesn't it?
I've yet to have this boat in the water, and I'm not sure if I should trust this as a backup to the electric pump.

-Marcus

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Marcus, I think I would trust it if it has a vent in it or is routed well above the (heeled) waterline, so as to ensure that there is no opportunity for it to siphon water back into the boat. I would also ensure that it has a good seacock, that the hose is in good shape (ie. not cracked or brittle) and that it is double C-clamped at each end.
Just my opinion... let's see what others think.
Frank.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On my 1975 E27, there is a manual bilge pump built into the starboard berth.
What puzzles me is that it pumps the water to a thru-hull that is below the water line.
Seems really odd doesn't it?
I've yet to have this boat in the water, and I'm not sure if I should trust this as a backup to the electric pump.
-Marcus

My take on it is that I would want the bilge pump exit well above the static waterline, and really prefer it above the heeled WL.
Note that these exits are, on most boats, going to be on the transom or high on the stern quarter, just below the rail.

Back siphoning is one reason to keep the exit well above the WL. Also you need to be able to see the pumped water exiting the thruhull fitting, IMO.

"Moving a hole" in your hull involves a bit of glass work, but not very hi tech, and if you read over the little DIY manual from West System Epoxies, it should be straightforward.

Location: by the 80's, Ericson was installing an ORC-approved manual bilge pump that is useable from the normal helm position -- a very desireable concept, IMO.
This pumping system probably added several hundred $ to the cost of each Ericson, compared to a cheapo mass production boat of the same length, it is worth noting.

Early 70's-era boats may not have this as standard, or the prior owner put in a less-well-thought-out manual pump. :rolleyes:

Best,
Loren

ps: if the existing bilge hose is over 20 years old or even looks questionable, just replace it. Good Insurance!

Last edited: